Graduate Program Finance
Master of Science in Finance Overview
Our master of finance is one of the best career investments you can make.
A master’s degree in finance is consistently rated as one of the best investments you can make in your career. Maximize your returns with Portland State University’s STEM-designated Master of Science in Finance (MSF). You’ll gain tangible technical expertise and position yourself for a bright future in corporate finance, traditional investments, or impact investing.
As a STEM-designated program, our finance master’s degree offers advanced training in the quantitative methods, strategic, risk management, and data visualization tools that drive financial decision making. Portland State has deep financial industry connections in Oregon and throughout the Pacific Northwest, with a network of over 25,000 alumni worldwide.
Whether you are seeking a career change, career advancement, or exploring career options in finance, PSU’s master of finance helps you take your career to the next level.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
MMastersLocationsOn campusTime to completionFull Time 12 Months; Part Time 24 MonthsTotal Credits49Start TermFall
Master of Finance: Why PSU?
- Applied learning. Our master of finance uses case-based and experiential learning to develop skills and knowledge that add value in the workplace. You’ll work with business clients and can participate in regional and national case competitions, internships, consulting projects, portfolio management investing, or impact investing with actual funds through Impact Ventures. You'll also have access to the Finance Lab, PSU's hub for Bloomberg Terminal, and Barron's in Education.
- Superior faculty. You’ll learn from a diverse faculty with a combination of CFA, MBA, and Ph.D. credentials. Our faculty bring experience from academia as well as the private and public sectors, giving you an educational experience that unites textbook theory with real-world knowledge.
- Academic excellence. The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute has recognized PSU as a University Affiliate, an elite classification certifying that our master of finance curriculum aligns with CFA standards.
- STEM and quantitative skills. Our master of finance earned the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) designation for its quantitative rigor and focus on financial technology. Because PSU’s master of finance program holds STEM designation, international students who enroll in the program are eligible for visa extensions.
- Access, diversity, and inclusion. You have the option of enrolling as a part-time or full-time student, completing the master of finance on your own schedule. Our finance graduate program welcomes a diverse population that includes military veterans, working professionals, domestic and international students.
Master of Finance Highlights
- Available on a full-time and part-time basis
- Accessible to working professionals and recent college graduates
- University Affiliate status from CFA Institute; scholarships awarded to offset CFA Level 1 exam fees
- STEM-designated master of finance degree
- Elite accreditation in business and accounting from Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Highly credentialed faculty (CFAs, MBAs, and PhDs)
- Bloomberg Finance Lab available to the master of finance students; students can earn Bloomberg Terminal certification increasing their marketability
- PSU participates in Barron's in Education, giving students free access to Barron's, one of the nation’s premier financial resources, and an array of experiential learning opportunities
- Blockchain technology courses available; consider pairing your degree with our Business Blockchain Certificate
What can I do with a Master of Finance?
Financial professionals are in high demand, particularly individuals with quantitative, strategic, communication, and leadership skills. Our Master of Science in Finance qualifies you for a broad range of career opportunities in the public and private sectors. Our alumni work at leading companies such as Nike, Providence Health & Services, Cambia Health Solutions, Daimler Trucks North America, Blount, ESC, and Intel. Functional areas include:
- Business valuation
- Investment analysis
- Financial technology
- Financial services
- Budget and forecasting
- Industry research
- Impact Investing
- FIN 552 Investments
- ACTG 550 Advanced Financial Reporting
- FIN 510 Blockchain Seminar
- ISQA 519 Analytics for Managers
- FIN 565 Corporate Financial Strategies
- FIN 525 Finance Capstone Project
- BA 522 Communication for Leaders
- FIN 510 Impact Ventures I
- FIN 521 New Venture Finance
- FIN 573 Investment Analysis & Portfolio Management
- MGMT 533 Alliances and Acquisitions
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute has recognized PSU as a University Affiliate, an elite classification certifying that our master of finance curriculum aligns with CFA standards.
Earned Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) designation for quantitative rigor and focus on financial technology. Because PSU’s Master of Science in Finance holds STEM designation, international students who enroll in the program are eligible for visa extensions.