TRIO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) staff will be working remotely until further notice. We will continue to provide updates on our website. Students in our program can contact their TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) adviser via email which is located below in the staff profiles.
For questions and appointments, please email email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
What is TRIO?
Our nation has asserted a commitment to providing educational opportunity for all Americans regardless of race, and ethnic background or economic circumstance. In support of this commitment, Congress established a series of programs to help low-income Americans enter college, graduate and move on to participate more fully in America's economic and social life. These programs are funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and are referred to as the TRiO Programs (initially just 3 programs). While student financial aid programs help students overcome financial barriers to higher education, TRiO programs help students overcome class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.
The mission of TRIO programs is to expand educational opportunity to persons often underrepresented in higher education, increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible low income, first generation and disabled students and to foster an institutional climate supportive of the success for those students through comprehensive services and advocacy.
TRIO Student Support Services assists students to
- Strengthen academic skills necessary for college level course work through classes and workshops
- Connect with cultural and social enrichment activities to find a sense of community
- Improve and maintain the grade point average necessary to achieve academic goals
- Graduate with a Bachelor’s degree
TRIO Student Support Services can provide you the following services
- Academic and career advising
- Priority class registration for the following term
- Graduate and professional school counseling
- Financial Literacy such as loan forgiveness, financial aid application and managing personal budgets
- Access to our student lounge and quiet study areas
- FREE printing in our computer lab
- Laptop and calculator loaner programs
- Individual writing support
- For credit classes to students at no charge such as a college writing class and from transition programs of Summer Bridge (incoming freshmen) and Transfer Bridge (incoming transfer students)
- Scholarship resources and assistance
- Make appropriate referrals to campus and community resources
Please review our eligibility requirements to check if you are eligible to apply.
Federal Eligibility Requirements:
Eligible students must be:
- be a United States citizen or permanent resident AND
- low income student - check the table income levels OR
- first generation student OR
- individual with disabilities as defined by ADA Amendments Act of 2008
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
All applicants to our program must:
- be undergraduate students who are admitted FULL TIME to Portland State University, 12 credits or more per term. Can be co-enrolled with certain Oregon community colleges and Clark College, check for more information on co-admission
- be registered for classes - exception would be Summer and Transfer Bridge applicants
- have fewer than 135 college credits or have two or more years remaining until graduation
- demonstrate academic need
- successful applicants have between a 2.5 to 3.5 college grade point average or
- first term Freshman students have a 3.0 or higher high school grade point average
All new or current Portland State students who meet all of our eligibility requirements listed above, download our application
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
TRIO REFERRAL FORM - If you are an Adviser or Counselor and wish to refer your student to our program, fill out our referral form
TRIO Student Support Services Staff Profiles
Linda Liu, M.A. Program Director
Email: LLLIU@pdx.edu - advising appointments for our TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) students only can be made through our online scheduler
Education: Bachelor of Arts in Journalism at University of Oregon and Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology at University of Oregon
Biography: Linda has worked in higher education programs that support underrepresented populations for more than 25 years.
Rosalyn Taylor, Ed.D. Academic Counselor & Instruction
Email: email@example.com - advising appointments for our TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) students only can be made through our online scheduler
Education: Doctorate of Education at Portland State 2018, Teaching Certificates in TESOL at McKendree College and English Language Arts at University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Andrea Griggs, M. Ed. Academic Counselor
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - advising appointments for our TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) students only can be made through our online scheduler
Education: Bachelor of Science in Sociology at University of Oregon and Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at University of Washington.
Charissa Ringo, Office Manager
Education: Bachelor of Science in Social Science at Portland State University, graduated Magna Cum laude
Student of the month
Hello, my name is Arisbeth Garcia, I am Mexican-American. I was born and raised in Oregon. I graduated from Century High school back in 2015. My parents always told me to get an education so that I could have a better future. My journey began at Portland Community College, where I was a part of Future Connect. Future Connect is a scholarship program that helped guide me through my years at Portland Community College. During my second year of college, I had the opportunity to study abroad. I applied to Portland State and was dual enrolled with Portland Community College. I studied abroad with a program called Carpe Mundi and earned university credit. I was abroad for two months in Nicaragua and Costa Rica. This was one of the best times of my life and I will always cherish that experience. I finished my third year of college at Portland community College where I obtained an Associates of Arts. I then made a full transition to Portland State to attain a Bachelor's degree.
TRIO Student Support Services has had a tremendous impact on me. Through this program, I was able to have a safe space and an amazing community at Portland State. I was also able to have advisors that helped me pick my classes, helped me with financial aid questions, and were simply there for me when I needed someone to talk too. I will never forget the day my car almost broke down and TRIO was there to help me financially. Lastly, I am very grateful for the Scholarship that they awarded me with. I will always be grateful for all the support that they have provided me with during my time in college.
I am now proud to say that I am a first-generation college graduate. I recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and Social Science with a minor in Child, Youth, and Family Studies. My goal is to one day become a Professor for a college or university. I am also very interested in working with couples and providing therapy. Lastly, I am interested in working for a program like TRIO that supports college students. I am still working on figuring out how I can do all three. I plan on earning a Master’s degree one day, but I am still not quite sure what program I want to apply for. In the end, who really knows what the future holds for us.