Other Applicants

Other Applicants

If you aren't sure which type of applicant you are, contact the Office of Admissions.

Non-Degree Applicant

Apply as a Non-Degree if you:

  • plan to enroll in 8 or fewer credits per term or 21 credits in summer term,
  • do not plan to pursue a degree from Portland State University,
  • do not plan to receive financial aid, and
  • have never attended PSU or submitted a non-degree application

Non-Degree Entry gives you limited registration access to PSU classes. All credits you receive are fully accredited and transferable to PSU and institutions that accept PSU credits. If you are unsure if Non-Degree Entry is right for you, please speak with an Admissions Representative by contacting the Office of Admissions. If you previously submitted a non-degree entry form, your non-degree status is continuous and you can register for classes.

How to Apply


  1. Go to Portland State University's online application system and select Create an Account. If you have already started an application, or created one for a past term, select Log In.
  2. Select one of the Non-Degree options from the drop down menu: Non-Degree Undergraduate (if you do not have a bachelor's degree) or Non-Degree Graduate (if you do have a bachelor's degree)
  3. With your application you must submit a non-refundable $25 application fee; you will be required to pay this via Visa or MasterCard. A $2.00 processing fee will apply. 
  4. Keep your browser window open after you submit to view your welcome message and to get your PSU ID number.

Paper Application

  1. Download and print a Non-Degree Entry form.
  2. Submit the paper form, along with the non-refundable $25 processing fee, to the Office of Admissions by in person or by mail.
  3. As soon as the form is processed (usually within three business days of submission), we'll send you an email with the information you need to register for classes.

Re-Enroll Student

Students who were previously admitted to Portland State, have been absent for two or more terms, and/or attended another college or university since leaving Portland State should complete the online Re-Enrollment Request Form. For more information about re-enrollment, contact the Office of the Registrar.

If you attended another college or university during your absence from Portland State, you are REQUIRED to submit updated official transcripts from all schools attended to the Office of Admissions.

Senior Citizen Applicant

Senior Citizens may audit any of Portland State's regular courses on a space-available basis and pay no tuition. Some course fees may apply, review procedures for the Senior Adult Learning Center.


  • Oregon resident
  • 65 years of age or older 
  • not be seeking a degree
  • not be seeking credit for courses