Master of Science in Finance
Contact Recruiting Specialist Angela Wright at 503-725-8008 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about these pathway programs.
ACTG + MSF: PSU Undergraduate Accounting to Master of Science in Finance Pathway
We offer an accelerated pathway program for PSU accounting students into our Master of Science in Finance (MSF). Students complete 8 MSF credits in their senior year which are shared between their bachelor’s degree in business with an accounting concentration and their MSF degree.
- 4 Credits Fall: FIN 551 Financial Management for Financial Analysts substitutes for ACTG 495
- 4 Credits Winter: ACTG 553 Financial Statement Analysis substitutes for ACTG Elective
Additionally, ACTG 550 Advanced Financial Reporting (4 credits) is eligible for a waiver for students pursuing the ACTG + MSF pathway.
Who Can Benefit
PSU students with a bachelor’s degree in business with an accounting concentration seeking a fifth year of education with additional coursework in finance, accounting and other areas of business to meet the credit hour requirement to sit for the CPA exam and to prepare them for a successful career.
Students interested in completing an accelerated bachelor’s degree in business with an accounting concentration and an MSF by completing 8 MSF credits in the senior year of their accounting program at the undergraduate tuition rate.
Undergraduate students interested in the ACTG + MSF Pathway Program must meet the following minimum requirements. Admission to the MSF program will be on a competitive basis and meeting the minimum requirements will not guarantee admission to the program.
- Junior standing or higher
- Admitted to The School of Business by opting in to the business major
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 with a letter of recommendation from PSU Accounting faculty or a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher with no letter of recommendation
- ACTG + MSF Pathway application
If a student is admitted to the ACTG + MSF Pathway program, they must maintain a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.3 and earn a grade of B or higher in each MSF graduate level course taken for shared credit.
Upon completion of the bachelor’s degree, students who meet those requirements will be guaranteed admission to the MSF program upon submission of a formal application for admission.
Process and How to Apply to ACTG + MSF Pathway
Summarized timeline for candidates
- Junior Year
- Fall - Summer: Complete the Intent to Apply form for the ACTG + MSF Pathway program
- Senior Year
- Fall & Winter: Complete pathway shared credits
- Fall - Summer: Complete bachelor’s degree
- Fall - Summer: Formally apply to the MSF program
- Fall Following Bachelor's Graduation
- Formally start the MSF program
Detailed timeline for candidates
Step 1: Complete the Intent to Apply form
Ideally, between Fall and Summer of your junior year, you will fill out the Intent to Apply form for the ACTG + MSF Pathway Program. This timing will ensure that your intent form is reviewed by the admissions team in time for taking the shared pathway courses.
Step 2: Register for the pathway approved courses in Fall & Winter
If you meet the program admissions requirements, you will be notified of acceptance to the ACTG + MSF Pathway Program via email. Instructions for registering for the approved pathway courses will be included.
Step 3: Continue progress towards your bachelor’s degree
Complete your bachelor’s degree in business with an accounting concentration and apply for graduation.
Step 4: Formally apply for admission to the MSF program
- Between October and August in your senior year, apply for the MSF program admission using the standard process.
- If you remained in good standing and maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.3 and B or higher in each graduate course you will be accepted to the MSF program and expected to begin the program in the Fall term. You may elect to defer admission to the MSF program for 1 year.
- If you have not remained in good standing or maintained a 3.3 cumulative GPA, you will be notified that the MSF graduate courses applied to your bachelor’s degree will not be applicable to the MSF degree requirements.
Lewis & Clark Undergraduate Economics to Master of Science in Finance Pathway
We offer an accelerated pathway program into our MS in Finance for Lewis & Clark undergraduate economics students. Students can secure a place in the program as early as their junior year and application fee is waived.
Candidates who meet criteria listed below will be automatically gifted a $2,000 scholarship upon admission to the program.
Process and How to Apply to Lewis & Clark Economics Pathway
- Talk to your Lewis & Clark advisor to make sure you are on track
- During your junior or senior year, complete the Intent to Apply form to express interest
- You must maintain a 3.35 cumulative GPA throughout your undergraduate degree
- During your senior year, apply for the MS in Finance using the standard process
- Once the application is submitted, you'll receive a recommendation for admission from The School of Business within 24 business hours
- Upon completion of your bachelor’s degree, send in final transcripts to PSU