Graduate Program The Portland MBA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Overview
The Portland MBA prepares business leaders to work for the greater good.
Portland is a city of trailblazers, a place of extraordinary originality and energy, where people find creative and sustainable ways to solve the most pressing problems.
Ranked #5 Green MBA by the Princeton Review, The Portland MBA is for those who believe business can drive positive change. We empower original thinkers and creative problem-solvers to combine good business with sustainability, inclusivity, and community engagement. Few MBAs emphasize these values like we do.
The Portland MBA draws on the city’s innovative business people and entrepreneurs to deliver a unique experience that will elevate your career. Open to full- and part-time students at the most diverse campus in Oregon, you’ll join a select cohort of individuals who enrich the learning experience with a wide array of perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. The Portland MBA is built on industry relationships, providing an immersive graduate business education that could only happen in Portland—and only at Portland State University.
Become part of the next generation of business leaders who are redefining the status quo.
Why The Portland MBA
- Deep industry connections. The Portland MBA gets you out of the classroom and into the community for internships, case studies, real-world consulting projects and independent research. We’ve built a robust business network over the last 50 years to ensure our curriculum meets industry needs.
- Elite dual accreditation. PSU is among the top 1% of business schools worldwide to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- Focused on innovation. PSU’s MBA program is educating next-generation business leaders to match Portland’s pioneering business models. With courses like Pioneering Innovation and applied learning opportunities in design thinking, you’ll earn a graduate business degree that equips you to anticipate (or generate) trends before your competitors do.
- Values-based. The Portland MBA emphasizes skills that employers desperately need. It’s imperative that businesses become more environmentally conscious and culturally diverse to stay competitive. The Portland MBA prepares you to redefine the status quo alongside a diverse cohort of professionals who share your drive and your passion for business that creates positive change. PSU is a leader in social innovation, proven by our rare and prestigious “Changemaker” designation from Ashoka U.
- World-class faculty. You’ll learn from experts who combine real-world business acumen with groundbreaking scholarship and leading-edge research that changes business for the better. Connected and accomplished, our supportive and engaged MBA faculty are incredible resources, helping you advance in your career as well as your graduate business education.
- National recognition. U.S. News & World Report, Conscious Company Magazine, Corporate Knights, Princeton Review and others have rated The Portland MBA as one of the nation’s best MBAs. Employers know our reputation and actively recruit our MBA graduates.
- Immersive experiences. From Kickstart Weekend and leadership immersion to local and international experiences, our students engage in deep immersive learning. We believe your MBA experience should be more than just a classroom experience.
- CO-OP experience for full-time students. Full-time, second-year MBA students pursuing a graduate certificate are eligible to participate in the PSU cooperative (CO-OP) education program. Extend classroom education to paid, meaningful work with an organization that aligns with your specialization. This integrated career development opportunity will give you a competitive edge when seeking employment after PSU.
What can I do with The Portland MBA?
Students choose The Portland MBA because they seek to drive change. Graduates have used our MBA as a springboard to leadership careers in the public, private and nonprofit sectors. Whether you’re early in your career or a seasoned professional who wants to make a greater impact, The Portland MBA can help you achieve your objectives. Our MBA graduates frequently pursue careers in areas such as:
- Executive business management
- Government administration
- Nonprofit leadership
- International development
- Financial management
- Human resource management
- MKTG 513 Pioneering Innovation
- BA 521 Leadership Development and Assessment
- MGMT 517 Negotiations
- FIN 515 Economics & Sustainability of the Firm
- MGMT 511 Foundations of Strategy
- MGMT 514 Integrated Strategy
- BA 525 Capstone Consulting Project
- BA 524 Leadership Immersion
MBA students have access to the Finance Lab, PSU's hub for Bloomberg Terminal and Barron's in Education.
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Part-Time MBA, U.S. News & World Report
#5 Green MBA, The Princeton Review
Best Business Schools, On-Campus MBA, The Princeton Review