Graduate Certificate Program Real Estate Investment and Finance
Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate Overview
Gain the quantitative analytical skills and software proficiency real estate employers are looking for.
Real estate finance skills are in high demand, and finance positions in commercial real estate are among the highest paid. PSU's Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate program sets you up for career advancement by offering fundamental concepts, analytical techniques and software proficiency for commercial real estate investment and finance.
The certificate is designed for professionals working in commercial real estate, and for those who are interested in pivoting into the field. It can be earned as a stand-alone credential or paired with PSU’s Master of Real Estate Development (MRED), Master of Science in Finance or The Portland MBA to specialize your skillset. It’s also a great foundational first step toward the MRED with potentially all of the certificate credits shared between the two credentials.
Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate: Why PSU?
- Build comprehensive finance and investment acumen. Certificate curriculum topics include investment analysis, private equity and debt financing, public real estate capital markets, asset and portfolio management, valuation, and market analysis.
- Immersive technical experience. You’ll work with industry-specific databases like Costar and Bloomberg, get hands-on experience in financial spreadsheet modeling in Excel, gain Tableau proficiency, and learn ARGUS real estate software. You can achieve readiness for the ARGUS certification exam through the Real Estate Investment Analytics elective.
- Industry connected. PSU’s Center for Real Estate serves as a bridge from classroom to industry for Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate students. Center staff offer personalized career counseling and leverage strong relationships with firms in all commercial real estate sectors to facilitate informational interviews and job shadow opportunities. Students also receive membership to NAIOP, a professional association of commercial real estate professionals.
- Peer networking and support. The Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate is just one of many real estate credentials offered by PSU. You’ll meet students with common interests and career goals, and can join the Real Estate Emerging Leaders (REEL) student organization that offers peer support, industry networking and professional development.
- Rigorous academics. You’ll earn the Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate from our nationally-ranked School of Business. We’ve earned recognition from US News & World Report, and we hold elite dual accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), which puts us among the top 1% of business schools.
Real Estate Investment and Finance Graduate Certificate Highlights
- Confers skills that are in high demand
- In-person format maximizes engagement with faculty, students and industry professionals
- Opportune location in Portland’s trendsetting real estate market
- Offered by PSU’s nationally ranked business school
- Can be earned as a stand-alone credential or paired with a PSU graduate degree
- Curriculum informed by industry leaders
What can I do with a graduate certificate in Real Estate Investment and Finance?
This certificate gives you a competitive edge in all real estate industry sectors, especially banking and real estate lending, investment companies, development companies, valuation and appraisal firms, brokerage (investment sales), and affordable housing.
Job titles may include:
- Real estate investment/financial analyst
- Investment sales broker
- Commercial loan underwriter
- Asset manager
- Commercial property manager
- Commercial real estate appraiser
- Affordable housing underwriter or developer (with Affordable Housing Finance elective)
The certificate’s analytical and practical skill development equips you to conduct an in-depth market analysis and understand different valuation techniques for income-producing properties. You’ll be able to carry out an investment analysis, including creating pro-forma statements and conducting a discounted cash flow analysis. You’ll also understand different types of private and public debt and equity financing options as well as create mortgage payment schedules and waterfall-structures.
The certificate requires five courses
- Real Estate Finance I (RE 521)
- Real Estate Finance II (RE 522)
- Real Estate Valuation (RE 538)
- Real Estate Market Analysis (RE 548)
Electives (pick one):
- Real Estate Investment Analytics (RE 523)
- Commercial Property and Asset Management (RE 533)
- Affordable Housing Finance (USP 596)
- Financial Reporting (ACTG 511)
- Advanced Financial Reporting (ACTG 550)
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.