Graduate Certificate Online Program Taxation Certificate
Taxation Graduate Certificate Overview
Our graduate tax certificate can improve your career bottom line.
Offered by Portland State University’s nationally-ranked School of Business, the graduate certificate in taxation equips you with targeted, high-impact tax expertise.
Our taxation program caters to working professionals in accounting, law, business, financial planning, and related fields. It’s also ideal for accounting majors who need a fifth year of education to qualify for the CPA exam.
Designed in collaboration with corporate tax practitioners and public accountants, the program emphasizes practical, results-oriented taxation and accounting expertise. Online courses enable you to complete the taxation certificate while you’re working full-time, and course schedules never interfere with tax season.
Whether you’re in the midst of your career or just starting, our graduate certificate in taxation can make you a more productive, more marketable tax professional.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
GCGraduate CertificateLocationsOnlineTotal Credits20Start TermSummer & Fall
Graduate Certificate in Taxation: Why PSU?
- Superior faculty. You’ll learn from seasoned tax professionals who’ve spent years in the industry. PSU’s graduate taxation instructors have worked in a variety of settings, including Big 4 accounting firms, regional accounting firms, law firms, global corporations, the government, and consulting agencies. They teach from an informed perspective that matches your first-hand experience.
- Practical curriculum. Our graduate certificate in taxation emphasizes relevant material that you can apply immediately in your job. You’ll work with the most current tax tools and technologies, including up-to-the-minute changes in tax law and the global economy.
- Rigorous academics. Portland State holds elite dual accreditation in accounting and business from the Association to Advance Collegiate Colleges of Business (AACSB) - Placing us in the upper echelon of U.S. business schools. We also have a long list of “best-of” honors from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, CFA Institute, and other organizations.
- High-touch instruction. Our online tax certificate encourages direct interaction between students and faculty. You’ll communicate in real-time via user-friendly digital tools, enabling you to form real relationships with instructors and fellow tax professionals.
Graduate Certificate in Taxation Highlights
- Online courses offer flexibility for working professionals
- Designed to sync your classes with the accounting recruitment cycles
- School of Business holds prestigious dual accreditation from AACSB in accounting and business
- Results-oriented curriculum designed by tax professionals
- Relevant for working professionals who specialize in taxation, accounting, law, investing, and other fields
What Can I Do With a Graduate Certificate in Taxation?
Our graduate taxation certificate is for professionals who require advanced tax expertise to achieve specific career objectives. The program caters to;
- Accountants and tax preparers looking to upgrade their services
- Undergraduate accounting students who seek to qualify for the CPA exam
- CFOs, controllers, and other corporate tax specialists who are responsible for tax planning and compliance
- Lawyers who advise clients on tax-related matters
- Investment advisers who seek to offer tax-advantaged investments and financial planning advice
Taxation Graduate Certificate Curriculum
The Taxation Graduate Certificate is a 20 credit program; a 4 credit required course and 16 credits of elective courses.
The curriculum for the Taxation Graduate Certificate has been co-developed with tax practitioners from both public accounting firms and corporate tax departments to equip you with the knowledge, skills and hands-on experience that will advance your career in tax.
|Fall or Summer||MTAX 525 Tax Research and Writing (4)||None|
|Summer||MTAX 530 Taxation of Property Transactions (2)||None|
|Summer||MTAX 531 Pass-through Entities (4)||None|
|Fall||MTAX 527 Corporate Taxation I (4)||None|
|Fall||MTAX 526 Tax Accounting Methods and Periods (4)||None|
|Fall||MTAX 535 State and Local Taxation (4)||None|
|Fall||MTAX 536 International Taxation (4)||MTAX 527|
|Winter||MTAX 532 Pass-through Entities II (2)||MTAX 531|
|Winter||MTAX 539 Taxation of Estates, Gifts and Trusts (4)||None|
|Winter||ACTG 553 Financial Statement Analysis (4)||None|
|Spring||MTAX 528 Corporate Taxation II (4)||MTAX 527|
|Spring||MTAX 533 Financial Accounting for Income Taxes (4)||MTAX 527|
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.