Graduate Certificate Program Service Learning and Community Based Learning
Service Learning and Community Based Learning Graduate Certificate Overview
A graduate certificate in Service-Learning and Community Based Learning will help you gain high impact strategies for how to teach, coordinate, lead, research, and assess service-learning for educational improvement and community enhancement. Students, faculty, administrators, and community partners from around the world connect with PSU each year to learn programmatic, teaching, learning, and engaged scholarship techniques of service-learning.
The program is for:
- College staff and administrators who coordinate and direct various forms of civic engagement
- K-12 teachers, faculty, and instructors interested in connecting academic content with experiential and community-based learning and service activities
- Other professionals interested in connecting non-profit agencies, NGOs, and social service organizations with colleges and schools.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
GCGraduate CertificateLocationsFlexibleTotal Credits18Start TermAny
Service Learning and Community Based Learning Graduate Certificate: Why PSU?
Portland State University is an internationally recognized leader in community-based learning and civic engagement. As a designated Carnegie Foundation Engaged Campus, students, faculty, administrators, and community partners from around the world visit PSU each year.
What can I do with a graduate certificate in Service Learning and Community Based Learning?
- College Staff and Administrators who (or who want to) coordinate and direct various forms of civic engagement including volunteerism, community service, service-learning, and community-based learning.
- Faculty/Instructors at colleges and Teachers in K12 schools interested in connecting academic content with experiential and community-based learning and service activities including how to conduct community-based research, assessment of outcomes, and the scholarship of engagement.
- Community Professionals interested in connecting non-profit agencies, NGOs, and social service organizations with colleges and schools in order to support student learning and community enhancement.
- ELP 542 Intro to Service-Learning
- ELP 543 Service-Learning Leadership & Policy
- ELP 522 Teaching Diverse Adult Learners
- ELP 528 Leadership in Educational and Community Organizations
- ELP 536 Curriculum & Pedagogical Design
- ELP 506, 507, or 509 Civic Engagement Capstone
- Any ELP 511-599 course
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).