Graduate Program Teaching Adult Learners
Teaching Adult Learners Graduate Certificate Overview
Experience the power of adult learning in educational settings and workplace training. With a Teaching Adult Learners graduate certificate, you can transform your teaching practice. Understand how adults learn. Strengthen how you teach. Elevate your work as an instructor in vocational-technical fields or as a workplace trainer. The program’s theory-to-practice format shines through a social justice and equity lens. Education continues throughout our lives. With a Teaching Adult Learners graduate certificate, you will live that continuing education ideal, teaching other adults in college, the workplace, and the community.
Teaching Adult Learners Graduate Certificate: Why PSU?
PSU is the public research university for the Portland metro area. Most of the courses in the Teaching Adult Learners graduate certificate program are taught by full-time faculty with years of practical experience in the field as well as doctoral-level preparation. You will appreciate the opportunity to use the program’s practice focus to immediately apply what you are learning into your current job or your imagined positions in the future. This unique focus is supported by PSU’s determination to foster within each student generous self-respect leading to maximum impact.
What can I do with a graduate certificate in Teaching Adult Learners?
Support adult learners or teach formally and/or informally in adult learning settings, including schools, higher education institutions, nonprofits, and businesses. Work in any of a variety of professional roles:
- Workplace trainer and educator
- Vocational and technical instructor
- Professors and teachers with advanced degrees who are specifically prepared to work with adult learners
Certificate learning objectives prepare professional educators of adults who:
- Are knowledgeable about adult learning and development
- Are committed to meeting the needs of diverse learners
- Base their teaching strategies on current research findings and theoretical frameworks about adult learning and development
- Continually strive to improve teaching practice through assessment of student learning
- ELP 520 Developmental Perspectives of Adult Learners
- ELP 521 Adult Learning and Motivation
- ELP 522 Teaching Diverse Adult Learners
- ELP 506 Self-Directed Learning Experience OR ELP 509 Internship/Practicum 2
- Any ELP 511-599 course
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).