Undergraduate Program Finance
Bachelor's Degree in Businses: Finance Overview
Our finance degree goes beyond the numbers and helps you see the big picture.
At Portland State University, a finance degree provides a foundation to critically assess the many types of economic decisions a firm must make in a dynamic economy. Our finance degree equips you to place finance decisions into a broader strategic context while using rigorous financial analysis to add value to an organization.
In addition to quantitative proficiency, you’ll develop marketable skills in research, critical reasoning and communication.
PSU’s finance degree includes accounting, business analytics, and in-depth valuation coursework. You will gain a strategic perspective that prepares you to work in multiple settings including start-ups, corporations, small business, government, and non-profits.
Employers actively recruit our finance majors because they’re well-rounded and possess professional bearing and critical thinking skills to contribute immediately to an organization.
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Finance: Why PSU?
- Exceptional faculty. Our finance faculty have valuable industry and academic experience. This experience, in combination with high-level scholarship, and professional achievement allows them to offer valuable applied insight that enhances traditional theory. Deep connections to the business community enable the faculty to provide relevant career guidance, mentorship and access to internships.
- Industry connections. The School of Business has active partnerships in Portland’s finance community, spanning the corporate, government and nonprofit sectors. These connections result in opportunities for a variety of professional finance internships, and you will have the opportunity to frequently connect with finance professionals at campus job fairs, networking sessions, client-based classroom projects, and other events. As part of the CFA Institute Affiliation Program, PSU’s finance program offers competitive-based scholarships for the CFA Level 1 exam, which enables students to prepare for a career in investment management and related fields of finance.
- Rigorous academics. PSU’s nationally ranked School of Business holds elite dual accreditation (in business and accounting) from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only 1% of the world’s business schools share this distinction.
- Economic justice and sustainability. PSU’s finance degree reflects the University’s overarching commitment to environmental responsibility, cultural diversity and social justice. Global economic and political trends have made these values increasingly attractive to financial and corporate employers.
- Global business context. In today’s highly interconnected economy, employers value finance professionals who can see the big picture. Our finance degree gives you a comprehensive foundation that encompasses emerging technologies, global markets, macroeconomic trends, government regulation and other factors affecting financial decisions.
Finance Degree Highlights
- Well-rounded quantitative and qualitative skills with a strategic emphasis
- Integrated coursework in accounting, spreadsheet modeling, and valuation
- Access to the Finance Lab, PSU's hub for Bloomberg Terminal and Barron's in Education
- Bloomberg Terminal and data analytics integrated into the core curriculum
- Option to join the highly-active finance student organization, Financial Management Association at PSU
- Prime location in a dynamic city with diverse opportunities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Highly qualified faculty, including many with multiple credentials (Ph.D., MBA, CAIA, CFA, and CPA)
- Commitment to social and environmental responsibility and cultural diversity
- An active student chapter of the Financial Management Association
- Opportunity to manage a real dollar portfolio as a student portfolio manager
- Four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list
- Nationally ranked business school that holds elite dual accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
What can I do with a degree in Finance?
Our finance degree’s broad view gives you the foundation for careers in both traditional finance and non-finance fields of business. You can pursue opportunities in such areas as corporate finance, financial services, financial technology, risk management, supply chain and investment firms in both the private and public sector. The range of possibilities includes, but is not limited to:
- Financial analyst
- Investment analyst
- Business valuation
- Data analytics
- Compliance manager
- Portfolio manager
- Investor relations
- Risk management
- Trading associate
- Commercial real estate analyst
- Credit analyst
- Financial planner
Finance Degree Curriculum
PSU’s finance degree encompasses a diverse finance curriculum, allowing you to create a learning experience that reflects your interests. Course material includes:
- Corporate Finance
- Portfolio Management
- International Finance
- Applied Financial Strategies
- Data Analytics & Modeling in Finance
- Financial Institutions and Markets
- Special Topics, which may include Blockchain, FinTech, and Enterprise Risk Management
Download the Finance Sequence Sheet (PDF).
- ACTG 381 Financial Accounting and Reporting I (4)
- FIN 319 Intermediate Financial Management (4)
- FIN 352 Investments (4)
- FIN 441 Fundamentals of Derivative Securities (4)
- FIN 449 Valuation (4)
- FIN 456 International Financial Management (4)
- FIN 465 Finance Topics & Cases (4)
- ACTG 382 Financial Accounting and Reporting II (4)
- ACTG 360 Management Accounting (4)
- FIN 404 Finance Internship (1) or (4)
- FIN 473 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management (4). Manage a real portfolio worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and present your buy/sell recommendations, and portfolio performance, to PSU Faculty and Portland Money managers.
- FIN 310 Entrepreneurial Finance (4)
- FIN 410 Financial Topics. Gain exposure to cutting edge topics that are revolutionizing the finance industry. Topics cover a wide range of cutting edge issues and may include aspects of fintech, blockchain, bitcoin, data analytics, spreadsheet modeling and enterprise risk management. As the finance role evolves, the topic list will evolve with it.
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report