Consumer Retail Pre-Baccalaureate Certificate
Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate Overview
Advance your career, leadership and income potential in the food & beverage and consumer packaged goods industry.
Portland State University’s pre-baccalaureate certificate in consumer retail builds on your Retail Management Certificate (RMC) from the Western Association of Food Chains (WAFC). The program, which is endorsed by the WAFC and its members, enables you to enter the next phase of your career at full speed by honing your business, marketing, supply chain and human resources acumen. All credits from your RMC and PSU consumer retail certificate transfer to a four-year program, putting you well on your way to earning your business bachelor’s degree from PSU.
As a working professional in the world of retail, you’re on the front lines of what’s new and trending among consumers. Combine that knowledge with a solid education in business management and you’ll be ready to lead in the new era of consumer goods. Offered by PSU’s renowned School of Business and Center for Retail Leadership, the curriculum complements coursework in the RMC and spotlights diversity and inclusion in the workforce.
The Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate is only available to those who have completed their RMC and have been approved for participation by their employer.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
CCertificate ProgramLocationsOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits20Start TermAny
Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate: Why PSU?
- Program flexibility. Retail is rarely a 9-to-5 career. The consumer retail certificate can be completed through in-person or online coursework, or through a hybrid of the two – meaning you can pursue your education in the format that works best for you.
- A pathway to a four-year degree. This 20-credit certificate program builds a bridge from your RMC to a bachelor’s degree. All credits transfer, giving you applicable coursework and skills to pursue a four-year program in business, HR, marketing, finance and more.
- Rigorous academics. The School of Business holds a dual accreditation (in business and accounting) from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a distinction awarded to only 1% of the world’s business schools. Our certificate programs feature coursework with the same instructors who teach our undergraduate and graduate classes.
- Relationships and industry networking. PSU’s Center for Retail Leadership facilitates creative collaboration between students and industry partners.
- A supportive, diverse community. As part of The School of Business, you will have access to a wealth of support that includes your fellow students, instructors, career advising and connections to local business professionals. Scholarships are available for students pursuing this certificate program.
Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate Highlights
- Hands-on learning from a school that spent four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list.
- Market-based education for professionals in all areas of the retail industry.
- Ability to transfer the credits from WAFC’s RMC to a PSU business bachelor’s degree program.
- Curriculum that incorporates sustainability, diversity and inclusion in retail.
- Community and connection, including opportunities to network with regional business professionals.
- Opportunities to grow into the next phase of your career and improve income and employment outlook.
What can I do with a certificate in Consumer Retail?
With the consumer retail certificate, you will be equipped with the skills needed to transition into a variety of career paths and leadership roles throughout the industry. If you choose to pursue a four-year degree after earning your consumer retail certificate, your credits will translate to a variety of degree types that apply to the food and beverage and consumer goods industry. Visit PSU's bachelor's in business page to see a wide selection of concentration options.
Requirements for Acceptance
- Completion and receipt of the Western Association of Food Chains (WAFC) Retail Management Certificate (RMC)
- 5+ years of work experience
- Employer letter of support (PDF)
- Commitment to participate in a one-credit School of Business orientation program
- Completion of PSU non-degree application
Tuition for the Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate is $4,877 for resident and non-resident non-degree seeking students (includes online credit fees), plus a $25 application fee and $2 processing fee.
Thanks to the generosity of the Western Association of Food Chains (WAFC), we are pleased to offer several scholarships of up to $2,500 each to students enrolled in our Pre-bacc Consumer Retail Certificate. As this is a new program, we have opened a special scholarship application for Winter 2021 period with a deadline of November 30, 2020.
WAFC Scholarship Applications will be reviewed after the November 30, 2020 deadline and financial need will be taken into consideration.
The scholarship application for the 2021-2022 academic year will be part of our campus wide online application system which opens October 2020 with a deadline of February 1, 2021, for scholarships to be awarded starting Fall for the academic year 2021-2022.
Students are eligible for an Illuminator Scholarship they are a full-time college student with one or more years of undergraduate or graduate work remaining, or an adult returning to college to further your career within the food industry.
Learn More About Consumer Retail Certificate
Contact Center for Retail Leadership Executive Director Jennifer Nolfi at 503-725-9805 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Pre-Baccalaureate Consumer Retail Certificate sequence sheet (PDF).
- BA 316U Essentials of Marketing for Non-Business Majors (4)
- MKTG 363 Consumer Behavior and Customer Satisfaction or MTKG 435 Consumer Packaged goods (4)
- GSCM 310 Intro to Supply Chain Management of Food and Beverage Systems (4)
- MKTG 316 U Professional Selling (4 credits)
- MKTG 467 Sales Management (4 credits)
- MGMT 461 Reward Systems and Management Performance (4 credits)
- MGMT 464 Contemporary Leadership Issues* (4 credits)
- COMM 220 Public Speaking* (4 credits)
- STAT 241 Applied Statistics for Business Leaders * (4 credits)
* These courses are strongly recommended for students considering pursuing a bachelor's degree, as they are degree requirements.
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.