Undergraduate Program Business Minor
Business Minor Overview
The Business Minor goes with any major: seven classes, all the essentials, no admission requirements.
The top skills employers look for are teamwork, communication, self-management, critical thinking, and organization. Learn these and other essential business skills from industry professionals by pairing an academic major with a Business Minor. Develop the toolkit necessary to gain a competitive edge in the job market and advance toward any career.
The 28-credit Business Minor provides students with a critical understanding of contemporary business concepts along with the technical and interpersonal skills required to succeed. By minoring in business, students build the qualifications necessary to manage teams and lead projects, while sharpening their organizational and problem-solving skills. Gain experience in collaborative environments and develop expertise fundamental to advancing a meaningful career.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
mMinorLocationsOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits28Start TermAny
Business Minor: Why PSU?
- Workplace skills. The Business Minor emphasizes practical skills that employers value. Students learn to work with budgets, write effective business documents, develop marketing plans, analyze data, and work with useful business technologies and tools. They also learn how to establish a professional presence by fostering clear and confident communication skills.
- Make connections. Drawing on our deep connections to Portland, courses in the Business Minor are taught by industry professionals with first-hand business experience. Instructors offer constructive insight, applied experiences, and career guidance that goes far beyond what can be learned from a textbook. Students in the program also have access to resources within The School of Business, including advisors for career counseling, business student clubs for interest areas, internship opportunities, and networking events.
- Take control. The Business Minor complements all non-business majors at PSU and can be completed in one year. All courses are offered every term, with daytime, evening, hybrid, and fully online sections available each year. In addition, students can double-dip to fulfill University Studies cluster requirements while also obtaining credits toward completion of the minor.
Business Minor Highlights
- Available to all non-business majors
- Focused on practical, marketable skills
- Can be completed in one year
- All courses are offered every term, with day time, evening, and fully online sections available each year
- The five 300-level courses also count towards the Design Thinking/Innovation/Entrepreneurship University Studies Cluster, allowing students to optimize class time and credit hours while advancing to their career of choice
What can I do with a minor in Business?
The Business Minor is designed to help elevate your career in any field or profession. Business components can be found in all disciplines, including arts and culture, science, health care, academia, and technology, to list a few. The Business Minor teaches skills that will help you make a difference and have a bigger impact including:
- Understand the language of business
- Take control of your finances
- Balance the books
- Market products and services effectively
- Succeed in managing and leading teams
- Interpret, analyze, and present business data
- Start and succeed in your own business
- BA101 Introduction to Business and World Affairs
- FIN218 Personal Finance
- BA316U Essentials of Marketing
- BA326U Essentials of Management
- BA336U Essentials of Information Technology
- BA306U Essentials of Finance
- BA346U Essentials of Entrepreneurship
Download the Business Minor sequence sheet (PDF) for additional details about our pre-requisites, requirements, credits and suggested sequences.
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).