Undergraduate Program Marketing
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Marketing Overview
Acquire big-picture vision—and big opportunities—in our marketing program.
Marketing is all about value creation, delivery, and capture—and few marketing degrees are better connected than Portland State University. Our marketing program is housed within a nationally ranked business school and plugged into Portland’s world-class marketing and retail community, giving you a 360-degree perspective on marketing trends, tools, and strategies. You’ll learn from an internationally renowned marketing faculty and industry pros and get hands-on workplace experience, earning a marketing degree that integrates creativity with data fluency, analytical skills, and overall business acumen. Because it’s so broad, PSU’s marketing degree prepares you for a wide range of marketing careers in diverse settings, from businesses to nonprofits and the government sector. And our marketing degree helps you gain the big-picture vision to play strategic roles and advance into leadership positions.
BABachelor of ArtsDelivery MethodOn campusFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermFall
BSBachelor of ScienceDelivery MethodOn campusFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermFall
Learn more about PSU’s academic program delivery methods.
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Marketing: Why PSU?
- Exceptional industry connections. Because of PSU’s strong relationships within Portland’s marketing and retail industries, you’ll have extraordinary opportunities to showcase your talent, develop your portfolio, and build professional connections. You might work as an intern at an iconic corporation like Nike or Whole Foods, get industry feedback for an in-class marketing project, or launch your own venture through PSU’s Center for Retail Leadership.
- Superior faculty. Our marketing degree is led by a faculty who connect cutting-edge marketing theory with the latest in effective marketing practice. They offer knowledge and savvy that goes way beyond the textbook, providing career guidance and professional mentorship.
- Strategic focus. At PSU you’ll learn how marketing fits within a broader business context. Our marketing degree equips you to understand how marketing interacts with finance, information technology, supply and logistics, and other core parts of the enterprise. You’ll also gain a global perspective that helps you understand broad economic trends.
- Flexibility and customization. You can tailor PSU’s marketing degree to fit your own interests, talents, and career goals. Some marketing majors specialize in particular industries (athletic and outdoor or food, beverage, and packaged goods), while others focus their studies on digital media, nonprofits, international marketing, sales, consumer research, or other niches.
- Emphasis on innovation. New technologies and communication media are constantly changing the way marketers do business. We consistently update our marketing degree to reflect the most current, up-to-date trends. You’ll learn the same concepts and practices that are used in today’s marketing industry, so you’ll stand out in the job market and be prepared to contribute immediately when you enter the workforce.
Marketing Degree Highlights
- Access to Portland’s dynamic, fast-growing, and high-profile marketing and retailing sector
- Partnerships with industry leaders like Pepsi-Cola, Nike, Columbia, Adidas, Whole Foods, Weiden & Kennedy, Hershey, Intel, Kroger, Starbucks, Amazon, and P&G
- On-campus opportunities via Center for Retail Leadership, student-led advertising agency (FIR), and Marketing & Advertising Club
- Industry-specific certificates in Athletic and Outdoor and Food, Beverage and Goods
- More than 800 business internships and jobs posted to PSU students each year by corporations, nonprofits, government agencies, and other organizations
- Four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list
- Nationally ranked business school that holds elite dual accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
What can I do with a degree in Marketing?
You can find marketing job opportunities with all kinds of organizations, from corporations to nonprofits, government agencies, consulting firms, and startup ventures. PSU’s rich, diverse marketing degree prepares you for any type of marketing career and lets you explore the full spectrum of possibilities, including:
- Account management
- Category management
- Marketing analytics
- Product/service management
- Digital marketing
- Web design
- Market research
- Public relations
- Professional selling
- User experience design
- Social media management
- Event management
- Media buying
Marketing Degree Curriculum
Some marketers work at a broad strategic level, while others focus on designing and executing specific tactics. PSU’s marketing degree equips you to do both. More important, you’ll learn to collaborate effectively with marketing teammates, and with colleagues in other parts of the organization. You can customize our marketing degree to fit your own interest, but all marketing majors develop strong writing, communication, research, and critical reasoning skills.
Course subjects in the marketing degree include:
- Consumer behavior
- Marketing research
- Marketing strategy and management
- Digital marketing
- Social media
- International marketing
- Sales management
- Advertising management
Download the Marketing Sequence Sheet for additional details about prerequisites, requirements, credits, and suggested sequences.
- MKTG 363 – Consumer Behavior and Customer Satisfaction (4)
- MKTG 448 – Digital Media Planning and Analytics (4)
- MKTG 460 – Marketing Research (4)
- MKTG 462 – Marketing Analytics (4)
- MKTG 464 – Marketing Strategy and Management (4)
- MKTG 375 – Retailing (4)
- MKTG 435 – Consumer Package Goods Marketing (4)
- MKTG 409 – Food Industry Practicum (Internship) (4)
- MKTG 436 – Competitive Dynamics in the Athletic and Outdoor Industry (4)
- MKTG 437 – Channel Management in the Athletic and Outdoor Industry (4)
- MKTG 448 – Digital Marketing (4)
- MKTG 376 – International Business and Trade Practices (4)
- MKTG 466 – International Marketing (4)
- MKTG 338 – Professional Selling (4)
- MKTG 467 – Sales Management (4)
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report