Undergraduate Certificate Program Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership
Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate Overview
Add value to your business degree with a specialization in food, beverage, and consumer packaged goods.
Portland is known for its food, wine, and craft brews, which is why Portland State University’s Food, Beverage & Goods Leadership Certificate is positioned to prepare students for an array of careers in this dynamic industry.
Developed in collaboration with industry leaders, including Kroger, Fred Meyer, and Albertsons Safeway, the Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate adds a multifaceted specialization to your business degree. You’ll gain versatile skills that apply in many industries beyond food and beverage, building expertise in retailing, marketing, distribution, and more.
PSU has deep connections in Portland’s world-class retail sector, enabling you to build your professional network quickly. Our Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate can put you on the fast track to a management job, or prepare you to launch your own food, beverage, or goods business.
Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate: Why PSU?
- Unique location. Portland is known as a food hub offering an amazing culinary experience and access to a diversity of start-up and established companies. The region offers advantages few cities can match, including world-class sectors in retail, consumer goods, and international trade. There’s no better place to study the food and beverage industry.
- Advanced real-world experience. The food, beverage and goods program benefits from strong industry participation in the classroom and the marketplace, leading to exceptional opportunities for students and alumni. You’ll have the chance to learn from industry leaders and innovators, acquiring workplace knowledge and experience that will bolster your resume and skill set. PSU’s Center for Retail Leadership offers student delegation experiences, including an immersive, all-expense-paid trip to the Private Label Manufacturers Association’s (PLMA) trade show in Chicago, Illinois.
- On-campus creativity. The Center for Retail Leadership serves as a proving ground by facilitating creative collaborations between students and industry partners. Experiences range from our pop-up shop experiment to market tests, brand building, new product rollouts, advertising, and more. Our student organization, the Crave Network, sponsors informal networking and educational events both on and off-campus to connect students with food, beverage, and packaged goods professionals.
- Expert faculty. Our Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate is taught by industry leaders and veterans. They bring an informed, first-hand perspective into the classroom, sharing knowledge and experience that goes way beyond the classroom.
Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate Highlights
- Portland State University named to U.S. News and World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list every year since 2015
- PSU’s Center for Retail Leadership offers unique hands-on opportunities
- Portland location leads to one-of-a-kind industry connections
- The School of Business holds elite dual accreditation in business and accounting from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate Scholarship Application
What can I do with a certificate in Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership?
The program offers targeted, marketable expertise for anyone who seeks a career in the food, beverage, and consumer packaged goods industry, including aspiring entrepreneurs who hope to launch their own company. The credential can help you pursue a broad range of career pathways. Possibilities include:
- Supply and logistics
- HR Management/Recruitment
Contact the Executive Director of the Center for Retail Leadership, Jennifer Nolfi at 503-725-9805 or email@example.com.
Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate Curriculum
This is not a stand-alone program, but rather a supplementary credential that you earn in conjunction with a business major in marketing, finance, supply, and logistics or another specialized discipline. The program consists of five courses (20 credits) including three required courses, and two electives.
Download the Food, Beverage and Goods Leadership Certificate sequence sheet (PDF).
- MKTG 375 Retailing
- MKTG 435 Consumer Packaged Goods & Marketing
- GSCM 458 Purchasing and Logistics within the Food Industry
Choose 8 credits from approved 4-credit electives below. Other courses may be used with the permission of the Program Director.
- MGMT 351 Human Resource Management
- MGMT 461 Reward Systems and Performance Management
- MGMT 464 Contemporary Leadership Issues
- ACTG 460 Advanced Managerial Accounting
- MKTG 338U Professional Selling
- MKTG 467 Sales Management
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.