PSU's Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science
The computer engineering degree in the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science will provide you with a background in computer hardware and devices. You will gain skills in all branches of the digital electronics and computer industry. This includes embedded systems, computer architecture, robotics, and machine learning among other areas. Students interested in focusing on software development should explore computer science.
- Hands-on experience early in the program. You will learn hardware interfacing and project management. You will get to interact with the technology in our teaching labs. We also have a one-of-a-kind Electronics Prototyping Lab, where you can walk in with an idea and walk out with a working prototype.
- Valuable work experience through internships. We help our students take part in Engineering Work Experience (EWX) and Multiple Engineering Co-Op Program (MECOP). These competitive programs offer paid internships at Intel, Mentor Graphics, Daimler Trucks, and other local tech companies.
- Research as an undergraduate. In the Undergraduate Research and Mentoring Program, our students pair with a faculty mentor to do research for one year. At the end of the year, students present their research to peers, faculty, and industry professionals.
- Expert faculty who bring the best research and real-life perspectives into the classroom. Our faculty tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues. They design applications and develop systems for ensuring security, privacy, utility, ease-of-use. They build embedded systems for the Internet of Things (connecting everything to the internet: toasters, refrigerators, chairs, automobiles, doorbells, and more). They also ensure that technology actually provides value to customers. You will learn to develop technologies to make your own unique impact on society.
We offer a fast path to a graduate degree with our 4 + 1 and bridge programs. Full-time students can earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) in 5 years. Postbaccalaureate students have the option of skipping the bachelor's degree and going right into our bridge program to a master’s degree, which prepares them for graduate school admission with a specialized ECE undergraduate curriculum.
Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission / ABET (EAC/ABET).
About the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science
The Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science includes five departments, 84 full-time faculty and more than 3,000 students. We offer academic programs that provide transformative opportunities within the classroom and beyond. If you join our college, you'll be connected to Portland’s growing, innovative industries and prepared to gain competitive jobs in engineering and computer science. Our close ties to leading tech companies give you the opportunity to build your professional skills through internship programs while you complete your degree. You can participate in undergraduate research, community-based learning projects and opportunities to develop your own ideas from proposal to prototype through our innovation programs. Our students are in demand in the Portland job market and beyond, and they report the highest annual earnings of all PSU graduates one year after graduation.
We have a vibrant community of students and faculty from all walks of life. We are proud to be the home of many cultures with a dedication to excellence and developing technologies for the benefit of society. There are many areas of overlap with the electrical engineering program. Students in both programs are able to collaborate with each other and to interact with the faculty in each area.
Our proximity to the tech industry sets us apart from other computer engineering programs. Portland State University is in the heart of the “Silicon Forest,” where both large companies and small startups call Portland home. All students collaborate with a local company as part of their senior capstone course. They create projects involving drones, field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), System-on-a-Chip, and the Internet of Things applications. These projects all have real-world applications. There are also opportunities to complete internships and gain industry experience before graduating.
The computer engineering department is a tight community. Our students engage in academic and extracurricular life through clubs and groups:
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers student chapter
- Portland State Aerospace Society
- The National Society of Black Engineers PSU chapter
- The Society of Women Engineers PSU chapter
- Viking Robotics
- You can network in the “Circuit Lounge” where tutoring is available.
- Our Electronics Prototyping Lab is open for students from any major to build devices.
Our alumni graduate with jobs in the computer engineering industry. They work as:
- computer and hardware engineers
- system-on-chip (SOC) engineers
- embedded systems engineers
Our alumni work at companies like Daimler Trucks, Intel, Apple, Boeing, Tektronix, Interface Engineering, Mentor Graphics, and ON Semiconductor.
Many of our students go on to graduate programs, researching topics such as:
- embedded systems
- design verification and validation
- computer architecture
- machine learning
- biomedical signal processing
- wireless communications
- integrated circuit design
- intelligent robotics
Our alumni are impacting the world through the technology they design and build. Join them in this growing and rewarding field.