Advertising Management Minor for Graphic Design Majors
Business Minor in Advertising Management for Graphic Design Majors Overview
Gain practical skills at the intersection of business and design.
The $166-billion U.S. advertising industry employs nearly 250,000 people in 65,000 advertising firms. And in every firm, there’s a need for skilled designers and art directors who can translate brand identity and message strategy into clear and compelling communication. The Business Minor in Advertising Management prepares graphic design majors to work in this industry through coursework in advertising strategy, integrated brand promotion, creative strategy and campaign development.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
mMinorLocationsOn campusFlexibleTotal Credits24Start TermAny
Business Minor in Advertising Management for Graphic Design Majors: Why PSU?
- Industry connected. Portland has one of the country’s most dynamic advertising communities, and PSU has deep connections with local advertising agencies and corporate ad departments.
- Practical business orientation. PSU has one of the few U.S. advertising programs housed in a business school. As an advertising management minor, you will complement your creative talent with business sense and the strategic mindset needed to start your own creative enterprise, join an agency or be part of an internal creative team.
- Superior faculty. Most of PSU’s advertising faculty have years of experience in the advertising industry, and many remain active as consultants. They bring a professional perspective into the classroom, offering practical insight and career guidance.
- Real-world emphasis. Our advertising minor offers you extensive opportunities to gain direct, hands-on experience in the classroom, on campus and in the workplace. You can demonstrate your ability by working for PSU’s student-run on-campus advertising agency, FIR, interning at a Portland advertising firm, creating communications campaigns in one or more portfolio workshops and more.
Business Minor in Advertising Management for Graphic Design Majors Highlights
- Put your skills to work with real clients in Creative Strategy, Advertising Campaigns and FIR NW courses
- Budding entrepreneurs will gain critical skills needed to launch a freelance design business, including personal finance and marketing essentials
- Build your strategy skills to help clients solve real-world business problems
- Choose from electives in Digital Media, Social Media and Portfolio Workshop weekend immersion
- Complement your design courses with specialized preparation for industry work
What can I do with a minor in Advertising Management?
Advertising is a rapidly changing field, as digital media drives more brand and consumer interaction than ever before. Employers in the private, public and nonprofit sectors need talented design staff for these roles, so you’ll find a wide variety of career opportunities. Possible career areas include:
- Art director
- Graphic designer
- Brand designer
- Creative director
- Production designer
- Digital designer
- UX designer
- UI designer
- Multi-media designer
- Web designer
- E-mail marketer
- Social media designer
- Packaging designer
Download the Advertising Management Minor for Graphic Design Majors sequence sheet (PDF).
- BA101 Introduction to Business and World Affairs
- FIN218 Personal Finance
- BA 316U Essentials of Marketing
- MKTG 340U Advertising
- MKTG 442 Creative Strategy
- MKTG 449 Portfolio Workshop
- MKTG 440 FIR Advertising Agency Internship
- MKTG 443 Advertising Campaigns
- ART 367 Design Business Practices
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).