Undergraduate Program Accounting
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Accounting Overview
Earn your accounting degree from Oregon’s largest accounting program.
Demand for accountants is growing rapidly, and employers view Portland State University’s accounting degree program as a key source of new hires. Our flexible, accredited accounting degree stands out for its big-picture approach. You’ll acquire technical accounting expertise within a broad business context, gaining the ability to go beyond number-crunching and provide strategic direction and leadership.
PSU’s accounting degree combines excellent academics with hands-on accounting experience and professional development. You’ll begin your accounting career with demonstrated ability, strong industry contacts, and an accounting degree that’s known for its well-rounded, high-performing graduates.
Portland State’s School of Business holds prestigious dual accreditation in business and accounting from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). This is a distinction held by fewer than 200 accounting programs worldwide.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
BABachelor of ArtsLocationsOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceLocationsOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Bachelor's Degree in Business - Accounting: Why PSU?
- Flexible degree option. In addition to a 100% on-campus degree, PSU offers a flexible degree in accounting that combines online business core classes with upper-division courses available on campus, online, or in a hybrid format requiring in-person attendance only one time per week for two hours.
- Exceptional professional connections. Our accounting program has relationships throughout the regional economy, so you’ll have routine contact with accountants and employers both on and off-campus. Large and small corporations actively seek to interact with our accounting majors via internships, networking events, job fairs, classroom case studies and other events.
- Practical skills development. PSU accounting majors develop the professional toolkit employers are looking for. Both in the classroom and in real-world settings such as professional internships, you’ll work with industry-standard software like Tableau and Quickbooks.
- Outstanding faculty. Accounting courses are taught by high-quality instructors who combine advanced scholarship with direct experience in the accounting industry. They’ll share lessons you can’t find in any accounting textbook, along with professional contacts, career guidance, and mentorship.
- Holistic education. Our accounting degree emphasizes the interconnections between accounting and other business operations such as finance, marketing, and management. Infused throughout is a focus on the accountants’ responsibility to the public, and the role of accounting in ensuring functional financial markets and society. You’ll stand out in the accounting job market—and in the workforce—for your ability to think strategically, solve problems creatively, collaborate on interdisciplinary teams, and synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Excellent hiring record. PSU accounting graduates work throughout greater Portland for corporations, accounting firms, nonprofits, and government agencies. Because of our high name recognition and strong reputation with employers, PSU’s business degree in accounting helps you stand out in the job market.
- Graduate degree pathway. PSU accounting students are eligible for an accelerated pathway program into our Master of Science in Finance (MSF). Students complete 8 MSF credits in their senior year which are shared between their bachelor’s degree and MSF degree.
Accounting Degree Highlights
- Elite dual accreditation in accounting and business AACSB
- The flexible degree combines online business core classes with upper-division courses available on campus, online or hybrid (online/on-campus)
- More than 800 business internships and jobs posted to PSU students each year by corporations, nonprofits, government agencies, and numerous other organizations
- Accounting Mentor Program that offers career guidance from active accounting professionals
- Career development support to hone your interviewing, resume writing, job search, and business etiquette skills
- A strong foundation for Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam
- Highly active, award-winning chapter of Beta Alpha Psi (BAP), the student accounting honors society
- Four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list
What can I do with a bachelor's degree in Accounting?
Our accounting bachelor’s degree program prepares you for a broad range of accounting career paths. PSU accounting majors go on to work for employers in the public, private and nonprofit sectors, with careers in a range of specialties that include:
- Corporate accounting
- Managerial accounting
- Governmental accounting
- Nonprofit accounting
Over the long run, accounting majors frequently advance into upper management positions and strategic leadership roles.
Accounting Degree Curriculum
Our accounting degree integrates technical skill development with broad theoretical knowledge. You’ll learn to construct financial and accounting reports, work with accounting software and tax research databases, analyze financial statements, prepare tax returns, conduct independent research, and analyze risk. Core subject matter includes:
- Accounting information systems and accounting analytics
- Financial reporting
- Managerial accounting
- Governmental accounting
The curriculum advances you toward eligibility for the Certified Public Accounting exam, with special electives and coursework to prepare you for that test. For CPA licensing requirements in Oregon, visit the Oregon Board of Accountancy. For CPA licensing requirements in other states, visit the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy.
- ACTG 335 - Accounting Information Systems
- ACTG 360 - Management Accounting
- ACTG 381, 382, 383 - Financial Accounting and Reporting (3-part Intermediate Accounting Series)
- ACTG 421 - Introduction to Taxation
- ACTG 430 - Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting
- ACTG 492 - Auditing Concepts and Practices
- ACTG 495 - Integrated Accounting Issues
- ACTG 422 - Advanced Taxation
- ACTG 460 - Advanced Managerial Accounting
- ACTG 485 - Business Law
- ACTG 493 - Advanced Audit
- ACTG 445 - Forensic Accounting
- ACTG 407 - Not-for-profit Accounting
- ACTG 407 - Accounting Analytics
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report