Pre-Law Pre-Professional Program Overview
Pre-Law is a pre-professional advising program supported by faculty advisors in Philosophy, History, and Political Science Departments. Pre-law is not a major, but an advising track. PSU's pre-law advising supports students who are interested in pursuing careers in the law and going to law school.
The primary faculty advisor is Chris Shortell from the Political Science department and R. Kevin Hill from the Philosophy Department. Students who go to law school can major in anything, however, the most common majors are Political Science, History, and Philosophy.
PSU's pre-law advisors help students explore the law and determine if law school is the right future for them.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
PPTPre-Professional TrackLocationsOn campusTotal CreditsVariesStart TermAny
Pre-Law: Why PSU?
PSU offers unique opportunities for students who are interested in pursuing careers in the law:
- Portland Law School Fair: This fair is a pretty big deal and brings in 60 - 70 law schools, it's for the entire Portland metro, a great opportunity for students to connect and ask questions.
- Explore the Law Program: The Oregon State Bar and Multnomah Bar Assocation partner with PSU and support this program administered through Student Legal Services. It's a free, year-long program for students to explore and prepare for careers in law. They particularly encourage PSU students from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for the program.
What can I do with Pre-Law advising?
Students who work with PSU's Pre-Law advisors go on to law school and careers as lawyers. Our students have been accepted into top law programs at schools like Lewis & Clark, University of Washington, and Willamette University.
- PS 101 United States Government
- PS 221 Introduction to Law and Legal Studies
- PS 421 Supreme Court and American Politics
- PS 422 Constitutional Law
- PS 423 Civil Liberties
- PS 424 Law, Politics, and Society
- PS 425/WS 424 Women and the Law
- PS 448 International Law
- PS 483 Justice in the Modern World
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).