Graduate Online Program Taxation
Master of Taxation Overview
Our Master of Taxation degree equips you with tax expertise that is impossible to automate.
Advanced tax expertise has almost universal value, and the demand is growing. The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) warns of a growing shortage of tax professionals who hold graduate degrees in taxation.
Portland State University’s Master of Taxation equips you to meet the needs of this growing field. Co-developed with the Pacific Northwest’s top public accountants and corporate tax specialists, our master’s degree offers specialized tax education that employers value highly.
Our online format makes the Master of Taxation accessible to full-time students, working tax practitioners, and other professionals with full-time jobs. You’ll build highly marketable tax expertise and develop the critical thinking skills that cannot be replaced by tax software or other technology. With our Master of Taxation degree, you’ll make immediate career progress and build a foundation for long-term success.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
MMastersLocationsOnlineTime to completionFull Time 12 Months; Part Time 24 MonthsTotal Credits45Start TermSummer
Master of Taxation: Why PSU?
- Career Readiness. Set yourself apart as a strong candidate with an outstanding writing portfolio that demonstrates a level of communication and critical thinking skills that recruiters notice. This is a rare and highly valuable advantage few programs offer. An application-focused capstone project will further enhance your resume and build your professional network.
- Professional orientation. The Master of Taxation serves a wide range of professional needs. It supports current tax practitioners and accountants who seek career growth, lawyers and business leaders who need tax knowledge to achieve their objectives, and undergraduate accounting majors who need a fifth year of education to meet CPA requirements.
- Convenient schedule. Our classes are synchronized with professional recruiting cycles. The program’s summer start gets you ready for fall interview season; the winter term is structured to accommodate full-time employment during tax season, and the spring term begins after April 15.
- Results-oriented curriculum. You’ll focus on relevant, high-impact subject matter in the Master of Taxation program. Course material applies directly to real-world tax practices, uses industry-standard technologies, and reflects the current state of tax law and the global economy. You’ll move far beyond annual tax returns and gain the ability to analyze tax issues at a strategic level.
- Expert faculty. Our Master’s courses are taught by seasoned tax professionals who have years of experience. Our faculty come from Big 4 accounting firms, regional firms, global corporations, law firms, and the government. All are experts in their fields.
- Rigorous academics. Portland State holds elite dual accreditation in accounting and business from the Association to Advance Collegiate Colleges of Business (AACSB), placing us in the upper echelon of U.S. business schools. We also have a long list of “best-of” honors from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, CFA Institute, and other organizations.
- High-touch online format. Our interactive online course platform enables you to communicate regularly with faculty and build close relationships with peers. You’ll also spend one weekend at the beginning of each term on our campus in downtown Portland, deepening your connections with instructors, fellow tax practitioners, and potential future employers.
Master of Taxation Highlights
- Offered by PSU’s nationally-ranked School of Business
- Ranked among nation’s best online business programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Convenient, flexible online format with one in-person residency each term
- Unique program schedule synced with accounting recruitment cycles
- Elite dual accreditation in accounting and business from AACSB
What Can I Do With a Master of Taxation?
The Master of Taxation offers professional development that can be used for a broad range of purposes. People commonly enroll in the program to qualify for job promotions, become better long-range business planners, acquire specialized expertise for a corporate role, offer better services to their clients, or even launch a new enterprise.
Participants come from many fields and professional backgrounds, including:
- Tax consulting
- Corporate finance
- Investment advising
- Business consulting
- Estate planning
The Master of Taxation also serves undergraduate accounting majors who need a fifth year of study to qualify for the CPA exam.
Master of Taxation Learning Goals
- Critical Thinking: Graduates of the MT program will be effective business decision-makers who are able to critically analyze an economic, financial, and/or tax issue and develop a clearly supportable position/recommendation on the issue.
- Research Skills: Graduates of the MT program will be able to conduct effective professional tax research.
- Technical Tax Knowledge: Graduates of the MT program will apply the techniques, tools, and strategies useful for performing complex tax planning, analysis, and compliance.
- Business Communication: Graduates of the MT program will effectively communicate complex information with a variety of stakeholders to increase knowledge and achieve objectives.
- MTAX 525 Tax Research & Writing
- MTAX 530 Taxation of Property Transactions
- MTAX 527 Corporate Taxation I
- MTAX 528 Corporate Taxation II
- MTAX 531 Pass-through Entities I
- MTAX 532 Pass-through Entities II
- MTAX 526 Tax Accounting Methods and Periods
- MTAX 533 Financial Accounting for Income Taxes
- MTAX 544 Professional Practices Seminar
- MTAX 537 Tax Case Capstone
- MTAX 540 Practicum/Internship
- MTAX 536 International Taxation
- MTAX 535 State and Local Taxation
- MTAX 539 Taxation of Estates, Gifts and Trusts
- MTAX 529 Federal Tax Procedure
- MTAX 538 Taxation of Real Estate Transactions
- ACTG 553 Financial Statement Analysis (Only offered in-person at the Portland State University campus at this time)
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Top Online Business Program, US News & World Report