Undergraduate Program Applied Health and Fitness
Applied Health and Fitness Bachelor's Degree Overview
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health is an innovative structure, in which we bring the best of two universities to you. Our design is a product of our innovative spirit and values: we bring that approach to you, working to chart your path into clinical, educational, policy, and direct-service health careers.
In the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Applied Health and Fitness, you will explore and apply the most current research and science in the field of exercise, physical activity, and health. With three specialized focus areas (Fitness and Exercise, Health Coaching, and Fitness for Special Populations), we provide you with a core foundation in public health and specialized skills in exercise science that positions you to excel in the career path you seek.
- Tailored, individualized advising and mentorship
- Expert faculty with extensive research and real-world experience
- Innovative curricula – we bring the community to you through guest speakers, applied learning activities, and a focus on current issues – all focusing on developing solutions to real-world problems
- Experiential learning -we bring you to the community through a mentored internship
- Faculty and career development opportunities from both universities
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health: A great place to make a world of difference.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
BABachelor of ArtsLocationsOn campusTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceLocationsOn campusTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Applied Health and Fitness Bachelor's Degree: Why OHSU-PSU?
Our two universities, our city, and our state are recognized as national leaders in health exploration, innovation, and community-based partnership.
Our graduates emerge with degrees endorsed by both OHSU and PSU in a field in which demand is growing rapidly.
Your course of study is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) and will provide you with the skills necessary to enter into the field of public health/community health, and the sub-discipline you choose.
We also provide a strong foundation and support for those wishing to pursue graduate study.
What can I do with a bachelor's degree in Applied Health and Fitness?
Our alumni build careers in the fitness industry, corporate wellness, and in recreation facilities, as well as in health coaching. They are also well prepared to enter into graduate teacher education programs to earn licensure to teach physical education in a school setting.
With a bachelor degree in Applied Health and Fitness, alumni have found work in community- based organizations and facilities, schools, and health and rehabilitative settings, including:
- Personal Trainer
- Health and Wellness Coach
- Health and wellness program manager
- Fitness Instructor
- Fitness Center Manager
- Weight loss coach
- Sports Coach
- Physical Education teacher
- Health promotion specialist
- Health promotion program coordinator
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- PHE 250 Our Community: Our Health
- PHE 270 Basic Biomechanics
- PHE 314 Research in Health and Fitness
- PHE 325U Nutrition for Health
- PHE 361 Care and Prevention of Injuries
- PHE 363 Communicable Diseases and Chronic Health Problems
- PHE 370 Applied Kinesiology
- PHE 473 Physiology of Exercise
- PHE 474 Exercise Prescription and Training
- PHE 475 Exercise Testing Techniques
- PHE 404 Cooperative Education/Internship
- BI 301 Human Anatomy and Physiology
- BI 302 Human Anatomy and Physiology
- PHE 421 Health Coaching Strategies
- PHE 456 Health Aspects of Aging
- PHE 295 Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
- PHE 340 Motor Learning
- PHE 417 Adapted Physical Education
- PHE 456 Health Aspects of Aging
- PHE 275 Stress Management
- PHE 466 Mind/Body Health: Disease Prevention
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Our school is accredited by the Council for Education In Public Health (CEPH). CEPH is the nationally recognized accrediting body for schools of public health. Its work ensures that schools and programs are meeting the highest standards for education in public health disciplines.