Undergraduate Program Advertising Management
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Advertising Management Overview
Our advertising management degree pairs creativity with business sense.
Portland State University’s advertising management degree stands out for its strategic, results-oriented approach. As one of the few U.S. advertising degrees housed within a business school, our advertising management program connects the dots between advertising tactics and big-picture objectives. You’ll learn to use all forms of advertising—from traditional broadcast and print to digital, mobile, and social media — to solve business problems and achieve long-range goals. In addition, PSU’s advertising management degree gives you exceptional opportunities to work and learn in Portland’s high-impact advertising industry. You’ll acquire hands-on advertising management experience that showcases your creativity and gets your advertising career off to a fast start.
BABachelor of ArtsDelivery MethodOn campusTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceDelivery MethodOn campusTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Learn more about PSU’s academic program delivery methods.
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Advertising Management: Why PSU?
- Business orientation. You’ll reap significant career advantages by earning your advertising degree from a business school instead of a communications or art department. In addition to cultivating your creativity, PSU’s advertising management degree instills business sense and a professional mindset that stand out in the job market—and in the workplace.
- Industry connections. Our advertising management degree offers extraordinary opportunities to intern at high-profile advertising firms, build your network, demonstrate your ability and get noticed. In addition, advertising majors can work for PSU’s independent student-run advertising agency, FIR, attend an immersive three-day Portfolio Workshop, and have class assignments reviewed by industry pros.
- Expert faculty. Nearly all of our advertising management faculty have worked in the advertising industry, and many are still active in it. They bring their professional experience, knowledge and industry colleagues into the classroom, giving you a practical, career-oriented perspective.
- Up-to-date techniques and technologies. Advertising trends are constantly changing, and so is our advertising management degree. You’ll work with the most current concepts and state-of-the-industry practices, and learn about emerging trends that may be just over the horizon.
- Marketable expertise. PSU advertising management graduates have an outstanding track record of professional achievement, so employers of every type recruit our advertising majors. You’ll have the pedigree and portfolio to impress any employer, from national firms to in-house corporate ad departments, boutique agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
Advertising Management Degree Highlights
- Exceptional internship opportunities, due to downtown Portland location
- Independent, student-run advertising agency, FIR, serves Portland brands and showcases on-campus talent
- Feedback from advertising industry pros during weekend-long Portfolio Workshops
- Graduates have a strong record of job placement and professional achievement
- The diverse student body reflects the current needs of employers and markets
- Collaboration with students and faculty in marketing, communications, graphic design other disciplines
- Four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list
- Nationally ranked business school that holds elite dual accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Advertising Management Degree Curriculum
PSU’s advertising management degree curriculum places extra emphasis on strategic thinking. We provide a holistic view of business, markets, consumer behavior, and economic trends, making you more valuable in the job market and on the job. You’ll be equipped to advance quickly into decision-making roles and leadership positions.
The advertising management degree includes courses in:
- Consumer Behavior and Customer Satisfaction
- Media Strategy
- Creative Strategy
- Advertising Campaigns
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Analytics
- Account Management
- Portfolio Workshop
- FIR Advertising Agency Workshop
- Digital Media Planning and Design
What can I do with a bachelor's degree in Advertising Management?
Advertising job opportunities are growing rapidly, particularly in digital media. PSU’s advertising management program has an outstanding reputation among employers. Recruiters and hiring executives regularly scout our campus, participate in campus programs, and conduct on-campus interviews. You can find advertising career opportunities in areas such as:
- Digital advertising
- Content strategy
- Account management
- Communications strategy
- Content development and production
- Media buying
- Creative direction
- Brand development
- Graphic design
Download the Advertising Management Sequence Sheet (PDF) for additional details about our pre-requisites, requirements, credits and suggested sequences.
- MKTG 340 Advertising
- MKTG 363 Consumer Behavior and Customer Satisfaction
- MKTG 441 Media Strategy
- MKTG 442 Creative Strategy
- MKTG 443 Advertising Campaigns
- MKTG 460 Marketing Research
- MKTG 444 Account Management
- MKTG 449 Portfolio Workshop
- MKTG 440 FIR Advertising Agency Internship
- MKTG 448 Digital Media Planning & Design
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report