Graduate Certificate Program Geographic Information Systems
Geographic Information Systems Graduate Certificate Overview
The graduate certificate Geographic Information Systems is PSU’s most sought-after graduate certificate, and for a good reason. We have access to more data, and more need for data analysis now than ever before. Your classes in GIS will put you in a good position to work as a data scientist when you graduate. The Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems provides an introductory and in-depth study into the design and application of geographic information systems (GIS) technology. You can be admitted solely to the certificate program or concurrently as a Masters or Doctoral student at PSU. Our program provides a rich, engaging, and flexible learning environment that will prepare you for a GIS career.
In addition to receiving guidance from faculty members who conduct active research, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with the vibrant GIS communities and professionals in experiential learning activities in the Portland metropolitan area. You can engage in campus life with like-minded peers through the student GIS club and regional conferences, such as the GIS in Action conference, Portland Cartography Symposium, and Resistance GIS conference.
Geographic Information Systems Graduate Certificate: Why PSU?
Portland State has a unique partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey, which is located at the south end of PSU’s campus. You will be studying from real-world experts right in the heart of it all.
The certificate program offers students many opportunities to interact with faculty members face to face or through online learning. Many of the certificate courses can be taken completely or partially online.
What can I do with a graduate certificate in Geographic Information Systems?
Upon completing the certificate program, you could join our GIS alumni who have diverse careers in the public and private sectors, such as land management, urban planning, conservation, utility, consultant, data analytics, and education. The GIS courses offered as part of the Graduate GIS Certificate count toward the national professional GIS certification programs. These programs include the GISP (Certified GIS Professional) certification administered by the GIS Certification Institute and the ASPRS Certification programs by the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS).
With so much data available, there’s so much demand for GIS geospatial analysis.
- GEOG 4/588/ USP 591 GIS I: Introduction to GIS
- GEOG 4/592/ USP 592 GIS II: Applications
- G 4/525 Field GIS
- GEOG 4/575 Digital Compilation and Database Design
- GEOG 4/580 Remote Sensing and Image Analysis
- GEOG 4/581 Digital Image Analysis I: Introduction
- GEOG 4/582 Digital Image Analysis II: Advanced
- GEOG 4/584 Cartographic Applications of GIS
- GEOG 4/585 Map Design and Production
- GEOG 4/589 Building a GIS Database with GPS
- GEOG 4/590 GIS Programming
- GEOG 4/593 Digital Terrain Analysis
- GEOG 4/594 GIS for Water Resources
- GEOG 4/595 Maps, Models, and GIS
- GEOG 4/597 Advanced Spatial Quantitative Analysis
- USP 543 Geographic Applications to Planning
- USP 4/593Public Participation GIS
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).