At a Glance: Bilingual Teacher Pathway
A teacher licensure program for bilingual educational assistants
As a valued member of the school's education team you already provide specialized expertise and perspective. With the Bilingual Teacher Pathway (BTP) program you can have the opportunity to advance your career to the next level—as the classroom teacher. This program was designed to fill a critical shortage of bilingual professionals in the schools.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Prepare for the challenges of today's multicultural K-12 classroom
- Learn effective teaching strategies that work with all students, regardless of their native language and/or culture
- Continue to work in your school district while enrolled in the program
- Be in high demand in our schools
Upon completion, you will be eligible for an Oregon teaching license in elementary or secondary and an ESL/bilingual endorsement.
Who is this for?
This program prepares bilingual educational assistants who have been recommended by their school district to be licensed teachers after passing the tests required by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
See the list of participating schools to determine your eligibility.
- Face-to-face at PSU’s downtown campus; some courses offered partially online
- Undergraduate and graduate options
- 62 required credits
Getting started in the Bilingual Teacher Pathway program at PSU takes a few simple steps. Qualified candidates are selected based on district recommendations and an application. Cohort classes begin each fall.
- Be recommended by your district
- Attend an informational session or meet with program advisors
- Begin the application process