The coronavirus/COVID-19 threat is an evolving situation and we are committed to keeping the campus community informed. We understand that it’s challenging to keep up with changing guidance, and we want to be as clear and comprehensive as possible.
Oregon public health officials notified universities this morning that stronger steps are necessary to respond to the spread of the virus.
Because we are committed to the academic success of our students, PSU will remain open and will offer all scheduled spring term classes. We also are committed to the health and wellbeing of our community and to doing our part to limit the spread of the virus. As a result, we are making the following changes:
- On Friday, March 13, there will be no in-person instruction on PSU’s campus. Classes will be taught remotely or canceled. Faculty should communicate as soon as possible with students about changes resulting from this guidance. Students, please contact your instructor if you have questions.
- There will be no in-person finals on PSU’s campus next week. Instructors will be in touch with students regarding final exams.
- Spring classes will be offered and will be conducted remotely through mid-April. Additional information and tools will be provided to faculty Friday from the provost. Students will receive additional information next week. The temporary modification of course delivery will not result in additional fees.
- Under Gov. Brown’s guidelines issued Thursday, all non-essential, meetings of more than 20 people should be canceled. As an alternative, PSU urges students, faculty and staff to use remote access and online format for meetings.
- The Big Sky Conference tournaments have been canceled as is the spring game for PSU Vikings football.
In these unprecedented times, it is important that we all practice social distancing as much as possible — in addition to good hand hygiene and staying home when you are sick. That means, regardless of the size of the meeting, finding a room that’s twice the capacity, keeping an empty chair between people and keeping about three feet of distance between people whenever possible.
We will have messages every weekday afternoon to share the latest information. Additional guidance on workplace practices will be included in tomorrow's update. Thanks to the Portland State community for your resilience and patience. Please continue to refer to the pdx.edu/coronavirus-response website for more information and send unanswered questions to the email@example.com email address.