Undergraduate Program Management and Leadership
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Management and Leadership Overview
Our management and leadership program equips you to set your own course—and get others to follow.
Today’s data-driven global economy calls for a new kind of business management. Portland State University’s business degree in management and leadership prepares you to exercise high-impact leadership at any level, from program director to chief executive.
You’ll learn specific, outcome-oriented techniques for managing people at all levels of an organization. The program addresses universal management and leadership challenges and is customizable to fit your particular career goals.
PSU excels at business leadership training, as our nationally-ranked MBA program attests. With deep corporate connections and a tradition of innovative thinking, we offer unique management and leadership curriculum that integrates practical know-how with a forward-looking vision. You’ll deepen both of these qualities in our business management and leadership degree.
BABachelor of ArtsDelivery MethodOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceDelivery MethodOn campusOnlineFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Learn more about PSU’s academic program delivery methods.
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Management and Leadership: Why PSU?
- Dynamic community. With its vibrant economy and strong entrepreneurial spirit, Portland nurtures creative leaders in the business, government, and nonprofit sectors. PSU has strong relationships throughout the community, so you’ll enjoy exceptional opportunities to study—and interact directly with—successful managers and leaders from a variety of industries. You might be learning alongside employees from healthcare, the technology industry, the athletic and outdoor industry, or music and entertainment.
- Practical orientation. Although “leadership” can be an ambiguous concept, our management and leadership program addresses concrete issues and offers applied training. You’ll learn to use storytelling techniques, build an inclusive culture, integrate hard data analysis with subjective judgment, cultivate dialogue, manage resources wisely, and solve other day-to-day challenges.
- Commitment to innovation. Leadership is central to what we do at The School of Business. With longstanding commitments to civic engagement, corporate responsibility, and social justice, PSU challenges all students to embrace leadership regardless of academic major or career path. It’s one reason we’ve made U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list for four consecutive years and earned a rare and prestigious “Changemaker” designation from Ashoka U.
- Flexibility and convenience. With online and on-campus options, the management and leadership degree is equally accessible to full-time students and working professionals. It also offers maximum academic flexibility. You can apply electives from a variety of business disciplines toward our management and leadership degree, tailoring it to match your skills and support your career objectives.
- Rigorous academics. PSU’s School of Business holds elite dual accreditation (in business and accounting) from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only 1% of the world’s business schools have achieved this distinction. You’ll learn from seasoned, highly-published, and well-connected faculty.
Management and Leadership Degree Highlights
- Available online and on-campus (mix and match to pick whatever fits your schedule in any given term)
- Customizable credit requirements to fit your academic and career objectives
- Leadership and management skills apply to organizations in business, government, and nonprofit sectors
- A broad range of career options
- University-wide commitment to values of corporate responsibility, social justice, and civic engagement
- PSU has been featured for four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list
- Nationally ranked business school that holds elite dual accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
What can I do with a degree in Management and Leadership?
The management and leadership degree has a wide range of applications because the demand for leadership skills far exceeds the supply. Employers in every industry describe the shortage of leadership and management talent as an obstacle to their organization’s success.
Past graduates of our management and leadership degree have taken a broad range of career paths. Some common choices include:
- Human resource management
- Product development
- Project management
- Nonprofit leadership
- Government administration
Management and Leadership Curriculum
The Management and Leadership degree includes core coursework in four areas:
- Human Resource Management
- Team Processes
- Organization Design and Change
- Contemporary Leadership Issues
You’ll also take core business courses in finance, marketing, organizational behavior, information technology, business research, and operations management. Depending on your particular focus, you can apply electives from a wide array of disciplines toward the Management & Leadership degree.
- MGMT 351 – Human Resource Management (4)
- MGMT 428 – Team Processes (4)
- MGMT 445 – Organizational Design and Change (4)
- MGMT 464 – Contemporary Leadership Issues (4)
- MGMT 398U – Managing Innovation (4)
- MGMT 441 – Collective Bargaining/Labor Relations (4)
- MGMT 442 – Human Resources Information Technology & People Analytics (4)
- MGMT 446 – Principles of International Management (4)
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report
#11 Best Online Bachelor's in Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report