Computer Science Masters or Doctorate Degree Overview
Computer Science is one of the fastest-growing careers in today's economy and PSU graduates are in high demand. Our graduate programs in Computer Science offer students with a bachelor's degree the opportunity to enhance their skills and training with advanced study in computer science. Our graduate programs combine core coursework in programming and theory, providing a deep understanding of both fundamentals and current issues in computer science.
Our programs introduce students to a wide array of specializations within computing keeping up with emerging trends of industry. The flexibility of our graduate degrees allow students to customize their program based on their own goals and idea of success. A thriving campus in the heart of Portland, PSU provides students with access to local tech companies providing opportunities for internships, mentoring, networking, and long term careers.
The various research opportunities available within the CS department allow for collaborative or individual study, culturing the creative and innovative side of computer science. Working closely with faculty within these research environments is great experience for future careers.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
MMastersLocationsOn campusTotal Credits45Start TermFall, Winter, Spring
DDoctorateLocationsOn campusTotal Credits90Start TermFall, Winter, Spring
Computer Science Masters or Doctorate Degrees: Why PSU?
Come earn your master’s or doctorate in computer science in the thriving, innovative tech landscape of Portland, the “Silicon Forest.”
Our renowned faculty provide advising and mentorship to graduate students, along with course offerings that specialize in emerging fields of computing such as Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, Networks and Security, Data Management and Cloud Computing.
What can I do with a master's or doctorate degree in Computer Science?
Students work with the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science's very own Director of Career Success to connect with tech companies for internship and job opportunities. One of the significant perks of being a graduate of the Computer Science department at PSU is the connection between the classroom and the industry you will soon enter. We are pleased to see the frequent placement of graduates into well-paying jobs that earn upwards of $80K, all within the thriving technology scene of Portland.
Examples of jobs that our graduates have gone into include:
- Engineer (Machine Learning, Software, Security, Graphics)
- Dev, DevOps (Application, Web, Full Stack)
- Database Administrator
- Game Developer
- Computer Science Professor
- Research & Development
- Computer Network Architect
- Information Security Analyst
- CS 445 Machine Learning
- CS 541 Artificial Intelligence
- CS 547 Computer Graphics
- CS 465P Full-stack Web Development
- CS 486 Introduction to Database Management Systems
- CS 410/510 Blockchain Development & Security
- CS 558 Programming Languages
- CS 533 Concepts of Operating Systems
- CS 546 Advanced topics in Machine Learning
- CS 585 Cryptography
- CS 560 Human-Computer Interaction
- CS 594 Internetworking Protocols
- CS 430P Internet, Web, & Cloud Systems
- CS 490 Introduction to Multimedia Networking
- CS 457 Functional Programming
- CS 551 Numerical Computation
- CS 556 Software Implementation & Testing
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).