Graduate Online Program
Applied Data Science for Business
Master of Science in Applied Data Science for Business Overview
Boost your career by building in-demand business skills with our online graduate program in applied data science for business.
As data and technology pervade every sphere of business, companies seek professionals who can bridge the gap between deep technical knowledge and business functions. A recent search of “business analytics” jobs in Indeed.com yielded over 50,000 job listings with over 300 in the Portland Metro region. Business leaders today also need the skills to guide an organization through digital transformation and the knowledge to create customer and stakeholder value sustainably and ethically.
The number of analytics tools has increased exponentially over the last decade’s data revolution. Demand for professionals with data science acumen continues to outstrip supply across industries, creating a talent gap in the fourth industrial revolution.
Enter: Portland State University’s Master of Science in Applied Data Science for Business (MSADSB). Built with the strategic thinker in mind, this STEM-designated degree program will position you for a career requiring knowledge of cloud services, machine learning and artificial intelligence. With the fully online MSADSB program, you’ll dive into business strategy, data visualization, security and ethics — on a timeline that works with your busy schedule. The curriculum applies across functions, including marketing, analytics, finance, HR and management. Choose a specialization in Business Blockchain, Business Intelligence & Analytics or HR Analytics to further hone your skillset.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
MMastersLocationsOnlineTime to completionFull Time 12 Months; Part Time 24 MonthsTotal Credits45Start TermFall
Master of Science in Applied Data Science for Business: Why PSU?
- Training in forward-thinking skillsets. The MSADSB offers training in high-demand, business-relevant data skills including visualization, data mining/warehousing, blockchain, regression analytics and tools, and languages and platforms like R, Python, Tableau and Power BI.
- Valuable connections with industry leaders. Located in the heart of Portland, PSU has thriving relationships with standout leaders in the region’s vibrant business community. That means a network of support, real-time insight and case studies, and opportunities to enrich your professional life.
- Strategic, big-picture thinking. Effective leaders go beyond the technical, placing value on human-centered ideas. The MSADSB curriculum includes content on integrating different perspectives, securing stakeholder buy-in, understanding technology trends, leveraging data storytelling and building change management processes to give you a holistic education in management.
- Specialized, applicable coursework. Get laser-focused on an area of your choice within the MSADSB. The program’s core courses in digital transformation are paired with a certificate option — Business Blockchain, Business Intelligence & Analytics, and HR Analytics — allowing you to curate a program targeted to your interests and goals.
- Advanced programming, on your terms. Earn a graduate degree from an AACSB accredited business school on a schedule that fits your life as a working professional. The MSADSB is fully online, with one-year (full-time) and two-year (part-time) options.
- Interactive and immersive learning. Our thoughtfully planned online program means you don’t miss out on an enriching experience with your graduate cohort. You’ll collaborate with a diverse group of students under the guidance of expert faculty, incorporating hands-on, real-world learning.
Master of Science in Applied Data Science for Business Highlights
- Hands-on learning from a school that spent four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list.
- A future-facing curriculum centered on core values of ethics, inclusive business, and positive social, ecological, and economic impact.
- Deep industry connections to launch your next career chapter and enrich your professional life.
- Applicable course work that offers an introduction to leading-edge technical skills in R, Python, machine learning and essential mathematical concepts.
- Opportunities to participate in PSU CO-OP to deepen your knowledge with six- or 12-month employment in your field of interest.
- Meaningful career management support, including opportunities for mentoring, resume and cover letter workshops, job placement and career round tables.
- Diverse, experienced faculty and a collaborative graduate cohort.
What Can I Do with a Master of Science in Applied Data Science for Business?
With the flexibility to choose a focus in Business Blockchain, Business Intelligence & Analytics, or HR Analytics, you’ll gain cross-functional data science skills that apply across industries. MSADSB graduates will leverage advanced business concepts and can expect to grow into senior management and director roles. No matter your current area of specialty, an MSADSB degree will expand your possibilities. Potential roles include:
- Senior Analyst
- Analytics Manager
- IT Manager
- Risk Manager
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Compensation Analyst
- Audit and Accounting
- MGMT 518 Digital Transformation of Business
- MGMT 511 Foundations of Strategy
- MGMT 519 Digital Transformation: Security, Privacy & Ethics
- ISQA 522 Special Topics in Data Science, Technology for Business: Data Structures for Business Applications
- ISQA 523 Special Topics in Data Science: Machine Learning Applications for Managers
- MGMT 520 Leading Organizational Change During Digital Transformation
- GSCM 512 or ACTG 513 Managerial Accounting and Control
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of fewer than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.