Undergraduate Program Sustainable Urban Development Minor
Sustainable Urban Development Minor Overview
The minor in Sustainable Urban Development will provide you with the opportunity to further your understanding of what it will take to make cities sustainable. Students who complete the minor will understand the foundations of sustainability, the tools of sustainable development, and the issues and challenges of making places sustainable. Several of the courses offered in the core and elective offerings provide community-based learning opportunities with community partner's within the region. In addition, courses will provide an introduction to emerging technologies in "green" building innovations and economic development.
Sustainable Urban Development Minor: Why PSU?
Portland State’s unique and nationally recognized core curriculum provides the framework for the sustainability capstone project, which gives you hands-on experience putting sustainability concepts and measures into practice.
Situated in the center of a dynamic urban environment, Portland State is an excellent setting to study sustainable urban development. A transportation hub, PSU is as vibrant as the city that surrounds us. You'll have access to global companies, internships with local government and organizations, and classes taught by professionals actively working in the field of sustainable urban development.
What can I do with a Minor in Sustainable Urban Development?
There are a variety of fields that graduate from this program can go into, ranging from planning to housing:
- Environmental planning: Senior environmental planner, environmental planner, natural resource planner, conservation program director, natural resource manager, environmental impact assessment specialist
- Economic development: Economic developer, economic development manager, development director, economic development specialist
- Transportation planning: Commute smart program manager, high capacity transit project manager, aviation planner, senior airport planner, transportation planner, transportation bureau planning chief, urban transportation planner
- Housing: Urban housing planner, community development specialist, community planner
- Planning: Regional planner, community development director, city planner, assistant to zoning manager, urban planning project manager, chief planner, associate planner, planning professional, senior planner, planning/sustainability director, urban designer, planning manager, planning technician, land use planner, planning consultant
- Specialized planning: Coastal resources specialist, military planner, green building specialist, GIS specialist, occupancy/space planning manager
- USP 313U Urban Environmental Issues
- USP 324U Healthy Communities
- USP 325U Community and the Built Environment
- USP 490 Green Economics and Sustainable Development
- CE 111 Introduction to Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EC 444 Economics of Green Power
- ESM 528 Urban Ecology
- Geog 447 Urban Streams
- USP 419/Soc 441 Population and Society
- USP 445/Intl 445 Cities and Third World Development
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).