Undergraduate Program Public Health Studies: School Health Education
Public Health Studies: School Health Education Bachelor's Degree Overview
The OHSU-PSU collaborative School of Public Health is an innovative structure, in which we bring the best of two universities to you. Our design is a product of that innovative spirit and values: we bring that approach to you, working to chart your path into clinical, educational, policy, and direct-service health careers.
With five specialized Health Studies concentrations and two minors, we provide you with specialty training and a core foundation in public health that positions you to excel in the career path you seek.
Our School Health concentration is a pre-licensure program, preparing you according to state guidelines for “best practices” in school health education. School health educators teach in middle school and high school settings covering a variety of topics from safety to preventive health behaviors and decision-making. Upon completion of the bachelor degree (BA/BS), you will be eligible to apply to the fifth-year Graduate Teacher Education Program or the Secondary Dual Education Program in the Graduate School of Education at PSU.
- Tailored, individualized advising and mentorship
- Expert faculty with extensive research and real-world experience
- Innovative curricula – we bring the community to you through guest speakers, applied learning activities and a focus on current issues – all focusing on developing solutions to real-world problems
- Experiential learning -we bring you to the community through a mentored internship
- Faculty and career development opportunities from both universities
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health: A great place to make a world of difference.
BABachelor of ArtsDelivery MethodOn campusFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceDelivery MethodOn campusFlexibleTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Learn more about PSU’s academic program delivery methods.
Public Health Studies: School Health Education Bachelor's Degree: Why OHSU-PSU?
Our two universities, our city, and our state are recognized as national leaders in health exploration, innovation, and community-based partnership.
Our graduates emerge with degrees endorsed by both OHSU and PSU in a field in which demand is growing rapidly.
Your course of study is CEPH (Council on Education for Public Health) accredited and will provide you with the skills necessary to enter into the field of public health/community health, and the sub-discipline you choose.
We also provide a strong foundation and support for those wishing to pursue graduate study.
What can I do with a bachelor's degree in School Health Education?
Our alumni are prepared to enter into graduate programs in secondary education for school health licensure.
Recent graduates have been accepted to the PSU College of Education, Pacific University, George Fox, and Concordia other universities around the country.
With a bachelor degree in Health Studies: School Health alumni have found work teaching middle and high school in many local school districts including:
- Portland Public Schools
- Beaverton Public Schools
- Hillsboro Public Schools
- Salem Public Schools
- Vancouver Public Schools
- PHE 275 Stress Management
- PHE 295 Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
- PHE 325U Nutrition for Health
- PHE 326U Drug Education
- PHE 335U Human Sexuality
- PHE 365 Health Promotion Programs for Children and Youth
- PHE 448 Health Education Techniques and Strategies
- PSY 311U Human Development
- ED 420 Introduction to Education and Society
- CFS 390U Sex and the Family
- CI 432 Computer Applications for the Classroom
- PSY 346 Learning
- SOC 337U Minorities
- SpEd 418 Survey of Exceptional Learners
- PHE Elective Classes as approved by advisor
- Women's Studies courses on Violence and Sexuality
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Our school is accredited by the Council for Education In Public Health (CEPH). CEPH is the nationally recognized accrediting body for schools of public health. Its work ensures that schools and programs are meeting the highest standards for education in public health disciplines.
Our MPH in Health Management and Policy is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). Ours is the only Health Management and Policy program in the state that is CAHME-accredited.
Our Human Lactation program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).