Undergraduate Online Program
Business Technology and Analytics
Bachelor’s Degree in Business: Business Technology and Analytics Overview
At Portland State University, you can learn directly from business leaders in the Silicon Forest.
Graduates with key skills at the intersection of business and technology are in greater demand than ever: According to Gartner Group, only 30% of employees have mastered the digital skills required for their jobs. With PSU’s online Business Technology and Analytics (BTA) concentration, you’ll be prepared to work alongside innovative industry leaders.
PSU is the only public institution in Portland offering this area of study, giving students an affordable option to pursue a specialized degree in a high-demand field. The degree curriculum is informed by market leaders and encompasses real-world education in analytics, databases, security, application development and systems design. As a STEM-designated program, coursework infuses theoretical, practical and ethical principles that teach you how to use data for business benefit and maintain respect for privacy and security. You’ll also develop a healthy sense of skepticism that will allow you to question data, analysis and findings. At PSU, you’ll gain the know-how needed to lead in a world driven by data.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
BABachelor of ArtsLocationsOnlineTotal Credits180Start TermAny
BSBachelor of ScienceLocationsOnlineTotal Credits180Start TermAny
Bachelor's Degree in Business: Business Technology and Analytics: Why PSU?
- A supportive network of local leaders. Portland is full of companies at the leading edge of the Silicon Forest, from established global brands to a host of exciting startups. Professionals from these companies mentor PSU students, partner with instructors on capstone projects, serve on insightful panels and host tables at career fairs.
- Prestigious faculty invested in your success. Our seasoned instructors bring a wealth of applicable knowledge to every class. Highly-published and widely recognized experts — including two with Ph.D.s from the London School of Economics — populate our faculty, giving you the opportunity to learn from people working on industry-defining research.
- A launching pad for a thriving career. With a 70% average placement rate for students with a business technology and analytics education, employers are excited to work with our graduates. We’ll give you the skills and tools; you’ll build the connections and business community that will provide opportunity in a future-proof career.
- Nationally recognized education. The School of Business holds dual accreditation in business and accounting from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a distinction awarded to only 1% of the world’s business schools. A degree from PSU gives you education with real-world application and name recognition among employers.
- Diverse student groups and community. Deepen your professional and personal development with opportunities outside the classroom, including student groups and associations in a variety of fields, mentorship programs and academic programs including study abroad. As the most diverse campuses in Oregon, PSU offers ways to connect and learn that you won’t find elsewhere in the state.
Certificate options to further specialize your education. With our Business Blockchain Certificate, you’ll build additional in-demand skills through an interdisciplinary approach.
Business Technology and Analytics Degree Highlights
- Option to earn while you learn through PSU CO-OP. Targeted 6- to 12-month employment at a company located in the tech center of Oregon will help you become the hybrid business and tech professional needed in today’s workforce.
- User-friendly online platform promotes collaboration and interaction, so you'll belong to a learning community while maintaining the flexibility to take courses on your own schedule
- Hands-on learning from a school that spent four consecutive years on U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Innovative Universities” list.
- Curriculum that builds both theoretical and practical knowledge in decision-making, business communication and sustainability.
- Proficiency in foundational analytics languages VBA and SQL, skills that are increasingly prevalent in regional job postings.
- Opportunities to build experience working with large data sets, extracting meaningful information and making decisions that improve business performance.
- Community and connection, including the Business Analytics Club, a student-led organization offering leadership development, peer support and networking.
What can I do with a degree in Business Technology and Analytics?
Data analytics is a field constantly in flux. As a PSU graduate, you’ll be well-positioned to take the reins and balance the technical and business realms of an organization. You’ll meet a vital gap in the market in a variety of industries. Potential roles include:
- Project manager
- Business systems analyst
- IT consultant
- Data information analyst
- IT analyst
- Computer system analyst
- IT auditor
- Management analyst
- Computer and IS manager
Download the Business Technology and Analytics Sequence Sheet (PDF).
- Business Problem Solving with Analytics & Visualization (4 credits)
- Database Management (4 credits)
- Application Development (4 credits)
- Systems Analysis & Design (4 credits)
- Privacy & Security (4 credits)
- BO210 Change Management
- ISQA 481 Blockchain Fundamentals & Lab
- MGMT 442 HRIS & People Analytics
Accreditation & Rankings
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs, U.S. News & World Report