Athletic and Outdoor Industry Certificate
The Athletic & Outdoor (A & O) industry employs more than 14,000 workers statewide and includes more than 800 firms with a payroll. The average wages are more than $80,000 annually, 70% higher than the statewide average for all workers.
From concept to consumer, the NEW Athletic and Outdoor Industry certificate program explores the unique challenges and competitive issues within the athletic and outdoor industry. It is for students who want to go beyond product design and sports management to examine the larger competitive industry issues in marketing, retailing, distribution, and sales.
If you are interested in working in athletic and outdoor (A&O) industry retail and product management - think Keen, REI, Columbia, Adidas, Nike, Gerber, and many others in the region - this program will give you an overview of the strategies and tactics necessary to succeed. You'll get hands-on practice and learn the business from local industry professionals.
Required core marketing courses in:
- Professional Selling (MKTG 338) (Fall, Winter, and Summer)
- Merchandising Management (MKTG 373) (Spring)
- Retailing (MKTG 375) (Winter, Spring, and Summer)
Students will also develop their skills and understanding of the industry in the following required courses:
- Competitive Dynamics in the Athletic and Outdoor Industry (MKTG 436/536) (Winter)
- Channel Management in the Athletic and Outdoor Industry (MKTG 437/537) (Spring)
- Classes will emphasize experiential learning and network development; industry leaders will provide perspectives on class content.
Post-Baccalaureate (Post-Bac) Students
Students who have already completed a bachelor's degree can take this certificate for credit by applying to PSU as a post-bac student. Click here to learn how.
Competitive Dynamics (MKTG 536) and Channel Management (MKTG 537) are open to graduate students to take as electives.
Interested in taking a non-credit certificate?
Visit pdx.edu/cepe/athletic-outdoor to learn more about the Athletic & Outdoor Product Management Certificate offered through PSU's Center for Executive and Professional Education (CEPE).
For questions, contact Lauren Beitelspacher at 503.725.9805 or firstname.lastname@example.org