Bilingual Teacher Pathway
Teaching to transcend all barriers
The Bilingual Teacher Pathway (BTP) is a teacher preparation program designed to fill critical shortages of bilingual teachers in the Portland metropolitan area. This is accomplished by recruiting and supporting bilingual/bicultural district employees so they can become licensed teachers.
Scholarships up to $13,000 available to qualified candidates - contact Lynda Pullen at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Qualified candidates will be selected based on district recommendations and an application evaluation. Yearly cohorts (a cohort is a group of students that go through the program together) will not exceed 35 students and begin each fall term. To be eligible to apply to the BTP Program, you must:
- Be employed either part-time or full-time by a school district that has an Intergovernmental Agreement with Portland State University*.
- Be eligible for admission to Portland State University – NOTE: If you are a non-native English speaker please be sure to see Portland State University's webpage for information on the TOEFL exam. Remember, you must meet this requirement BEFORE applying for admission to PSU.
- Be bilingual/bicultural
- Bilingual - Oral and written proficiency at the near native level, evidenced through interview and essay
- Bicultural - Ability to relate in a socially acceptable manner with members of a cultural group other than your own
- Have approval from your school district liaisons (Exceptions may be possible in some circumstances.)
- Receive a passing score on one of the following Basic Skills tests:
Click here for information on available scholarships, financial aid, and estimated program costs.