Personal Leave

Employees may request a Personal Leave for time off in excess of five continuous work days that is otherwise not covered by other University leave and/or benefit programs. This is an unpaid leave benefit that must be applied for and approved by the University. It is available for a variety of employee needs and interests.

  • An employee is not guaranteed a return to their position unless required by a Collective Bargaining Agreement, state and/or federal law, and/or the Administrative Rules for the State of Oregon.
  • Employee benefits may or may not continue.
    • If benefits are not continued, employees may have rights to continuation of Core Benefits under the Continuation Omnibus Benefits Reconciliation Act (COBRA) as outlined on the PEBB website.
    • During a Personal Leave employees may or may not be able to continue Optional Benefits.

The SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 40 provides for additional guidance for Classified staff for Leaves of Absence Without Pay. For leaves taken during Trial Service, see Article 31.

How to apply

  1. Submit a completed Personal/Discretionary Leave Request Form
  2. If the leave is needed for an employee's own illness or illness of a family member as defined under the FMLA/OFLA leave, a Physician's Certification may be required.

Because there are a number of considerations related to the use of Personal Leave, employees should contact the Leaves & Accommodations team for additional guidance.