Portland State University requires that any positions determined as "Critical" or "Security-Sensitive" must have their final candidate successfully compete a criminal background check before a final offer can be extended. Your final candidates must sign and submit the PSU Background Check Consent Form to Human Resources to begin this process. Generally, the background check takes only a few days for completion. Critical or security sensitive positions meet at least one of the following:
- Has direct access to persons under 18 years of age;
- Has direct access to student residence facilities because the person's work duties require the person to be present in the residence facility;
- Is providing information technology services and has control over, or access to, information technology systems that would allow the person to harm the information technology systems or the information contained in the systems;
- Has access to information, the disclosure of which is prohibited by state or federal laws, rules or regulations, or information that is defined as confidential under state or federal laws, rules or regulations;
- Has access to property where chemicals, hazardous materials, and other items controlled by state or federal laws or regulations are located;
- Has access to laboratories, nuclear facilities or utility plants to which access is restricted in order to protect the health or safety of the public;
- Has fiscal, financial aid, payroll or purchasing responsibilities as one of the person's primary responsibilities; or
- Has access to personal information about employees or members of the public including Social Security Numbers, dates of birth, driver license numbers, medical information, personal financial information, or criminal background information.
Some departments require background checks for all employees, regardless of whether the position meets the criteria stated above. Please consult with your Dean/Director/AVP office for more information.