Business Honors Track
The School of Business (SBA) Honors Track is a two year program made up of approximately 50 undergraduate business students (25 accepted each year) who are admitted to the School of Business at Portland State. By attending a variety of honors classes, workshops and events, Business Honors Track students challenge themselves and polish their professional business skills. These students are able to interact with business professionals, including CEOs and vice presidents of companies in the Portland area.
Why SBA Honors Track?
- More academic depth and rigor in degree studies
- Special career-improving workshops
- Recognition for outstanding academic achievement
- Official honors designation on the diploma (upon completion of program requirements)
- Networking opportunities in the business community
- Improved public speaking, critical thinking and computer skills through workshops, seminars and special events
- More opportunities to associate with peers in an intellectually meaningful setting
- Enhanced access to influential members of the business community
- Interaction with the SBA Deans and Faculty
Requirements to receive the honors designation on diploma (subject to change):
- BA 301 & 385 Honors Only sections (4 credits each) – classes for honors students only. Students who have completed one or both of these courses before applying to the SBA Honors Track may not be considered for the SBA Honors Track. Students will take both courses during the first year in the Honors Track. BA 301 (HON) is held in fall term and BA 385 (HON) is held in spring term, both will be on Friday mornings.
- BA 495 Honors Only section (6 credits) – will be taken in the last year of the Honors Track and is held on Wednesday and Friday mornings during spring term. Please note: BA 301(HON), 302, 303, 311, 325, 339 & 385(HON) are pre-requisites to this course.
- BA 423: Executive Perspectives on Leadership (1 credit, P/NP) – can be taken in fall or spring term during the student’s first or second year in the program.
- Required half-day workshop each term (excluding summer term)
- Advanced Business Communications Workshop (must be taken in first year of program)
- Executive Days in Residence
- Honors Book Group
- Advanced Microsoft Excel Workshop (must be taken in first year of program)
GPA (required for graduation, not admission to the program):
- 3.5 PSU GPA – must have a 3.5 or higher upon graduation
- 3.5 PSU Business GPA – must have a 3.5 or higher upon graduation
*Please note that all applicants must earn 72 or more graded credits at PSU in order to obtain the honors designation.
There is no cost to join the SBA Honors Track but there are some required and optional events/classes that will have a fee.
2015-2016 application deadlines will be posted later this year. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com