Welcome to the Portland State School of Business! Students studying for a business degree at Portland State are considered pre-business students until they are formally admitted to the School of Business, generally at the end of sophomore or beginning of junior years. Transfer students must fulfill requirements for admission to the School of Business , as well as general education requirements once admitted to Portland State. The student's Transfer Evaluation will define how classes taken elsewhere transfer to Portland State, and will help students determine which classes they must still take to meet PSU requirements. Transfer students are encouraged to attend one of many orientation sessions available for transfer students.
PSU holds orientation sessions for entering transfer students throughout the summer.
Course Recommendations for Transfer Students
Transfer students who plan to study business at PSU will need to follow three sets of requirements for the degree:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Requirements -Twenty-eight credits of liberal studies classes generally organized around science and social science classes (Bachelor of Science) or foreign Language, arts and letters and social science classes (Bachelor of Arts). Business majors may choose to complete either BS or BA requirements. Many of the courses required for admission to the School of Business will fulfill social science or arts and letters course requirements, and can be taken at the community college level. See the General University Requirements for more information.
- University Studies - A four year general education sequence that begins with Freshman Inquiry and concludes with the Senior Capstone course. Transfer students begin University Studies coursework depending on the number of credits they transfer into Portland State. See the University Studies site for information.
- Business requirements: Transfer students who have met these course requirements and who have the necessary GPA are ready to apply for admission to the School of Business (SBA Admission link). Transfer students may begin the 300 level core courses once they have achieved 90 quarter credit hours and completed the necessary course prerequisites.
The Transfer Evaluation is a document prepared by Portland State and sent directly to the student that reflects how coursework taken at other schools has been accepted by Portland State. This document is critical for advising. It helps students determine what additional coursework they will need at Portland State to fulfill the requirements for a degree. To receive a Transfer Evaluation, students must:
- Formally apply to PSU, see PSU Application.
- Submit official, sealed transcripts from all previous colleges and universities with the application
- In about 3-4 weeks, PSU will send the student his or her transfer evaluation.
Please note: Any additional coursework taken outside PSU must be officially transferred into PSU via official transcripts. If you lose your transfer evaluation, you may request another copy by going to the Transcript Window of Neuberger Hall. The processing fee is $1.50. A new copy will be sent in one week.
See also DARS Report.
Students may check to see how a course will be accepted by PSU visiting the Course Applicability System site.
Students may request that a transfer course be considered as equivalent to a PSU course through the petition process. Course descriptions and syllabi must accompany the petition, which must be returned to the School of Business Student Services Office, SBA 240.
Community College Transfer Sheets
Click on the link below to access the general information sheets for business students transferring from the following Oregon community colleges (all files are in PDF form):
- Blue Mountain Community College
- Central Oregon Community College
- Chemeketa Community College
- Clackamas Community College
- Clark College
- Clatsop Community College
- Columbia Gorge Community College
- Lane Community College
- Linn-Benton Community College
- Mt. Hood Community College
- Oregon Coast Community College
- Portland Community College
- Rogue Community College
- Southwestern Oregon Community College
- Tillamook Bay Community College
- Treasure Valley Community College
- Umpqua Community College
Undergraduate - Transfer students must take 45 of their last 60 credits at Portland State to meet PSU residency requirements. In addition, at least 41 of a student's required 82 credits in business must be taken at Portland State
Post-Baccalaureate - 45 total credits must be completed at PSU (36 if first degree was from PSU)
Post-Baccalaureate Accounting Certificate - At least 30 of the 48 credits required for the certificate and at least 27 credits in accounting must be taken in residence at PSU.