Visit the Rec Center
The Rec Center facility and pool are open for PSU students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members. A facility reservation is required and can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
Welcome to Portland State’s Rec Center!
Our facilities and programs are universally designed to provide opportunities for everyone to accomplish their wellbeing goals. Campus Rec offers a variety of programs, events, and activities ranging from fitness, aquatics, and outdoor programming to intramurals, rec clubs, and drop-in sports. Our trained staff are here to provide you with assistance and support throughout your wellbeing journey.
The Outdoor Program office and Equipment Rental Center are just outside and around the corner from our main Rec Center facility, on the corner of SW 5th Avenue and Harrison Street. Stop by to register for guided outdoor trips for all skill levels, or to rent affordable outdoor gear for your next adventure. Make new friends, learn new skills, and release some tension while enjoying nature.
Visit the Rec Center
Rec Center Reopening
The Rec Center facility and pool are now open for PSU students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members. Due to our reduced hours of operation and limited occupancy, we are limiting access to our fee-paying students, as well as PSU faculty, staff, alumni and senior adult learner members. A facility reservation is required and can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Visit our Return to the Rec Center webpage for more information and reopening resources.
Campus Rec - CREC
Finance & Administration
P.O. Box 751
Portland, Oregon 97201
Rec Center Hours:
Monday - Friday: Open
- 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- 3:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Pool & Spa Hours
The pool is open for PSU students and our faculty, staff, alumni and senior adult learner members. A swim lane reservation is required in order to access the pool. The spa is closed until further notice. Visit the Aquatics webpage for pool hours and swimming expectations.
Outdoor Program Hours
For Outdoor Program hours, including the Outdoor Program Office, Climbing Center, and Gear Rentals, visit the Outdoor Program webpage.
The Rec Center will remain closed to youth at this time. We will keep you informed as to when youth can return to the Rec Center.
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 31
All PSU buildings will remain locked at all times over the summer and fall, and will only be accessible with a PSU ID card or access badge. Please use the card reader at building entrances for access.
- Current PSU students, faculty and staff can use a valid PSU ID card to access the ASRC outside of the public building hours (HigherOne cards will not provide access). If you do not have a valid PSU ID card, please contact ID Services in order to obtain one.
- If you are NOT a current PSU student, faculty or staff member, please complete the ASRC Building Access Request Form to request an access badge. You will be notified when your badge is ready for pick up at Member Services. Please bring a valid photo ID in order to obtain your access badge.
If your PSU student access to the Rec Center is denied, here are some potential reasons:
- The Student Rec Fee has not been assessed to your account
- There is a hold on your account
- Your class registration has not been processed
- Your special registration through signature has not been approved through your department
- You have dropped a class and are no longer a student
If your PSU faculty/staff access to the Rec Center is denied, here are some potential reasons:
- Your nine-month employment contract has expired and you are no longer receiving a paycheck
- Your position at Portland State has changed
- Your are receiving tuition-remission, which does not include the Student Rec Center fee
Accessible Facility Layout
*CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19
An accessible list of our services and their locations is included below. For information on accessibility features and adaptive equipment, visit the Inclusive Rec webpage.
- Outdoor Program (Southeast side; 5th and Harrison)
- Outdoor Program Equipment Rental Center Loading dock (Next to Outdoor Program)
- Bike Hub (Southwest side; 6th and Harrison)
- Transportation & Parking Services (West side; right of ASRC entrance and Cafe Yumm)
- Lobby (Northwest side; two entrances - one above Urban plaza next to Cafe Yumm and another from floor of Urban Plaza)
- Campus Rec Administrative Office (Northwest side, right of Member Services)
- Member Services (Northwest side, just right of stairs)
- *Pool (Northeast side, entrance on the left after the gate)
- *Spa (Next to pool)
- *Rec Sports Office (On the right after going through gate, across from locker rooms)
- *Men's and Women's Locker Rooms (On the left side of hall after pool entrance)
- Academic Classrooms (Southwest side, past Admin office)
- Universal Changing Rooms with shower (One just outside of the pool doors on the left, and another just inside the pool and to the right)
- Gymnasium (2 courts) (On right after stairs or left after elevator)
- Multi-Activity Court (On left after entering gymnasium)
- Weight Room (Left after stairs or right after elevator)
- Stretching Area (Under the open staircase in the Weight Room; shoes required.)
- Climbing Center (On right after entering weight room area)
- Mezzanine (To the right after the gymnasium courts)
- 1/11-Mile Elevated Indoor Track (On right from stairs or left from elevator)
- Cardio Areas (Various cardio equipment, including bikes, treadmills and StairMasters are placed throughout this floor, opposite of the indoor running track)
- Multipurpose Rooms (Directly left from main stairwell or directly right from elevator; from weight room staircase: two rights, just past the treadmills)
- South Stretching Area (At the top of the Weight Room staircase and to the left; shoes required.)
- *North Stretching Area (From the weight room staircase, take a right and walk past the multipurpose rooms and take a left after the digital lockers. From main stairwell and elevator, take a left past the multipurpose rooms and another left after the digital lockers. Shoes optional.)
- Universal Restroom (Across from spin bikes near the elevator and main stairwell)
Our aquatic complex includes a lap pool and 10-person whirlpool spa that offer natural light and views of downtown Portland. The swimming pool is 25 yards long and 6 lanes wide. The lap pool is kept between 80 and 82 degrees and the spa is about 103 degrees. The pool and spa use a system which feeds chlorine to the pool from a briquette form. In addition, both pools have a UV system. The UV system increases air quality in the natatorium and keeps combined chlorines at or near zero.
Clean clothing that is safe for water sports must be worn to use the pool or spa. Typical attire includes swim trunks, one-piece swimsuits, two-piece swimsuits, t-shirts and shorts. Aquatic merchandise including goggles, swim caps, nose plugs, ear plugs and children’s swim diapers are available for sale at Member Services.
For more information on the pool and spa, visit our Aquatics webpage.
The weight room features over 100 pieces of strength equipment, including free weights, Olympic platforms, squat racks, adjustable benches, and plate loaded machines to facilitate muscle endurance and strengthening. Staff are trained to introduce you to our equipment and answer any questions you may have. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a Weight Room Orientation.
- Please refrain from taking equipment out of the weight room. The weight room is designed to handle more wear and tear than other parts of the building, where use of heavy weights may cause damage. In addition, keeping everything in one place helps us keep track of our equipment, decreases the chance of theft, and allows for staff supervision to help ensure the safety of our patrons.
- Please refrain from using chalk in the Weight Room. Loose powder chalk causes a mess and leaves a residue on the equipment. This is not only difficult to clean but increases the amount of maintenance work that needs to be done. Please use gloves or lifting straps if you want a better grip while lifting. Liquid grip can also be used and is sold at Member Services.
Climbing Center - BOULDERING ONLY
Campus Rec's indoor Climbing Center features a Nicros traversing, bouldering, and climbing wall. The wall is 32-feet high and bouldering is allowed up to 14 feet. The floor surface is covered with seamless Asana crash pads. For more information, visit the Climbing Center webpage.
The Rec Center features a two-court gymnasium for drop-in sports and scheduled activities. There is also a synthetic floor multi-activity court equipped with dasher boards for floor hockey and indoor soccer.
Third & Fourth Floors
There are several stretching areas throughout the facility, including one on the third floor under the open staircase in the Weight Room (shoes required), one at the top of the Weight Room staircase on the fourth floor (shoes required), and one that is currently closed due to COVID-19 near the north entrance to the indoor track on the fourth floor (shoes optional).
Stay active with over 80 pieces of cardio equipment including treadmills, elliptical cross trainers, Arc trainers, adaptive motion trainers, stepmills, fitness and Krank bicycles, and rowers. If others are waiting to use a machine, we ask that you limit your workout to 30 minutes.
Elevated above the courts is our 1/11-mile elevated indoor track. Rain or shine, the three-lane track is available for patrons and guests to engage in a variety of movement types while enjoying breathtaking views of downtown Portland.
Multipurpose Rooms (ASRC 440/441)
Located on the fourth floor of the Rec Center, our two multipurpose rooms (ASRC 440/441 and ASRC 450) are great spaces for Group X classes such as cycle, Zumba, and yoga. These spaces are also available for Rec Clubs practices and can be used by patrons when there is no scheduled programming taking place. Check our Schedule & Activities webpage for current term programming.
Located directly left from main stairwell or directly right from elevator. From the weight room staircase, take two rights, just past the treadmills.
As you enter, you are at the west wall in the southwest corner of the room. Exit at door 440 on the west wall, near the northwest corner of the room. The instructor occupies the north center of the room, and participants occupy three staggered rows in front of the instructor, with the back row against the south wall and one-way paths dividing the rows. We have designated a priority workout box intended for patrons who are visually or positionally impaired. To find the priority box, turn left at the entry door and follow the west wall past the closet doors and Bosu racks until you feel a tactile line underfoot. Follow the tactile line away from the wall to the priority box. The perimeter of the box is also marked by tactile lines. To exit, follow the line back to the west wall. Keep the wall to your left and the exit door is just in front of you. You may also call out to the instructor for assistance.
Tour the Rec Center
Not available during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic closure.
- Individuals may come to the Rec Center during facility hours and obtain a visitor pass for a self-guided tour.
- Visitors will have 15 minutes to tour the facility and return their pass to Member Services.
- A Portland State University or government issued photo ID is required before taking a self-guided tour.
- Campus Rec offers group tours for groups of 5 or more. Requests must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the visit date. Tour requests less than 10 days will not be accommodated.
- Tours take 20-30 minutes and participants must comply with the tour guidelines below.
- To make a request for a group tour, please complete the Group Tour Form below.
- No food/drink
- No touching equipment without guide’s permission
- Tour participants must stay to the right side of the stairwell and out of pathways and doorways to maintain the flow of traffic
- 1 chaperone to every 7 youth (youth groups only)
Tour Request Form
Cancellation Policy – Please contact us at least 48 hours in advance if you are not able to attend your scheduled group tour. Make a quick call to 503-725-2962, or email email@example.com. After a no-show, we may not be able to fulfill subsequent requests.
*All fields are required except minors and chaperones (it is required for youth tours).
Reserve A Space
To inquire about reserving space in the Rec Center, please complete the Space Reservation Form. Campus Rec staff will review all submitted information and determine the possibility of hosting the event, tabling, meeting or practice on a case-by-case basis. All groups reserving space must be associated with Portland State University. Click the picture to the right to complete the Space Reservation Form.