Rec Center Closure
Closed until further notice
The Rec Center is closed through at least January 31 in compliance with the Governor's health and safety framework to protect Oregonians from COVID-19. We will announce an official reopening date once the state lifts the closure mandate for rec centers in Multnomah County.
Lockers & Equipment
During the Rec Center closure, Campus Rec members can rent fitness equipment and outdoor gear through the Outdoor Program. Fitness equipment ranges from indoor spin bikes and bike trainers to foam rollers, dumbbells, and barbells. Outdoor gear rentals include cross country skis, camping gear, and more.
Welcome to Campus Rec, where the possibilities for good health, memorable experiences, and learning are at your fingertips. Here at Campus Rec, we focus on improving the wellbeing of our members by providing an inclusive and welcoming environment where recreation and wellness opportunities inspire, empower, and educate people to be positive contributors to the global community.
- All Portland State students enrolled in at least one credit and paying PSU tuition and fees are automatically Campus Rec members.
- We also offer faculty, staff, alumni, and plus one memberships.
- Prior to entering the Rec Center, you must sign a one-time electronic release form online in order to use the facility and/or participate in Campus Rec programs.
- Current PSU students, faculty and staff can use a valid PSU ID card to access the Rec Center. If you do not have a valid PSU ID card, contact ID Services in order to obtain one. If you forget your PSU ID, you may use a government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license or passport to access the facility.
- If you are not a current PSU student, faculty, or staff member, complete the ASRC Building Access Request Form (opens in a new window) to request an access badge.
- Campus Rec memberships cannot be prorated. We close the facility for approximately 12 days during the year for cleaning and staff training. The facility is also closed for all state-recognized holidays. Membership pricing and benefits take these closures into account.
- Free, drop-in group exercise (Group X) classes
- Affordable personal training options
- Free day-use lockers with your own lock
- Dedicated locker and towel service available for a small fee
- 80+ pieces of cardio equipment and 100+ pieces of weight training equipment
- 32-foot climbing wall
- Six-lane lap pool and 10-person spa
- Three multipurpose exercise and activity rooms
- Two wood-floor courts for various sports and activities
- Indoor soccer and multi-sport court with dasher boards
- 1/11-mile elevated indoor running track
- Two locker rooms, each equipped with over 400 lockers
- Two universal changing rooms with showers
- Equipment Checkout offering a full menu of items for use
$0 - Included with PSU tuition and fees
Every admitted PSU student who is enrolled in at least one credit and is paying PSU tuition and student fees for the current term is automatically a Campus Rec member and has access to the Rec Center and Campus Rec resources for that academic term. Dual-enrolled high school students, including those in the Challenge Program and EXCEL program, do not receive a Campus Rec membership because they do not pay PSU student fees.
Student Term-Off Membership
$25 / 30 days
- You must have already been enrolled in at least one term at PSU to be eligible for a term-off membership.
- If you take off one term per the four total terms that you can enroll in, you are eligible to purchase a membership for that term.
- Student Rec Center fees are only assessed when students are enrolled in one credit or more at PSU.
Student Rec Fee
In April 2004, the PSU student body approved a referendum to recommend a Student Recreation Center Fee to be assessed at $41 per term for each student taking at least one credit to pay for the construction and maintenance of the Student Rec Center. The initial Student Rec Fee was implemented to all students taking at least one Portland State academic credit in the fall of 2009. The Student Rec Fee increased to $44 per term in 2016. Each PSU student taking at least one credit per term is automatically charged the Student Rec Fee and has access to the Rec Center and Campus Rec resources for that academic term. The fee is unique in the history of Portland State in that it is a dedicated fee for the construction of a building that benefits the entire university and Portland State community. The fee generates only one-third of the operating costs of Campus Rec. The remainder of the costs are covered by revenue generation and and funds from the PSU Student Fee Committee. A fee-supported Rec Center, which is becoming more common across the country, allows PSU to provide equal access to a variety of recreation and wellbeing programming for all students, along with enhanced programming for inclusive recreation that serves the PSU community as a whole.
As a PSU student, if your access to the Rec Center is denied, here are some potential reasons:
- The Student Rec Fee has not been assessed to your account
- There is a hold on your account
- Your class registration has not been processed
- Your special registration through signature has not been approved through your department
- You have dropped a class and are no longer a student
$35/ 30 days
All benefits-eligible faculty and staff must use payroll deduction in Banweb to become members. Check with HR to see if you are benefits-eligible. It is not pre-taxed and membership becomes active the day after you sign up on Banweb.
For more information on faculty/staff membership, please visit our Faculty/Staff webpage.
Non-Benefits Eligible Faculty/Staff
- Non-Benefits Eligible: $37/30 days
- Faculty Emeritus: $25/30 days
- Non-benefits eligible faculty/staff and faculty emeritus memberships may be purchased at the Member Services desk for one, three, or 12 months at a time.
- Memberships will expire upon the end of the length of the paid membership.
$37/ 30 days
- Alumni memberships can be purchased for one, three, or 12 months.
- Alumni must provide proof of affiliation with the Alumni Association to the Member Services desk upon purchase of the monthly membership. Becoming a member of the Alumni Association is free of charge.
- PSU alumni must purchase an alumni membership rather than a sponsored plus one membership.
Senior Adult Learner
Price: $25/ 30 days
A Rec Center membership may be available to those aged 65+ who audit classes through the Portland State Senior Adult Learning Center. Proof of class registration required.
- Student Plus One: $30/30 days
- Regular Plus One: $37/30 days
All Campus Rec memberships allow for a single plus one addition per academic year: July 1st - June 30th.
- Plus one members must be 18 years or older, and must be under current (active) PSU affiliation. These members will receive all current member benefits.
- May be purchased at the Member Services desk for one, three, or 12 months at a time. Plus ones of students may only purchase up to three months of membership, in line with the term.
$7 per guest - Limit of three guests per member visit.
Up to three guests may accompany a Campus Rec member into the Rec Center at the daily rate of $7 per guest. The Campus Rec member must remain in the facility with their guest(s) at all times.
- Each guest must present a photo ID.
- Guest passes are good for the entire day.
- Equipment can only be checked out under the members account.
- Please refer to our Youth section if the guest is under the age of 17.
- PSU faculty and staff may self-sponsor themselves as a guest at the daily rate of $7 per day.
Price: Free for member dependents; $7 for youth who are not member dependents
Youth dependents (17 and under) of Campus Rec members may use the Rec Center for free during designated youth hours and for family-friendly events. Youth who are not member dependents may enter the Rec Center with a $7 guest pass (limit of three guests per visit) as long as they have a liability release (PDF) on file prior to using the facility.