Walk your way to improved wellbeing with Walktober! Whether you are a returning student, new student, faculty, or staff - we welcome you to take part in Walktober 2020! Our world may look a little different than this time last year, but we are keeping this PSU tradition going for the 11th year in a row. Walktober is a free, 31-day health promotion challenge designed to motivate and inspire the PSU community to become more active, anywhere you are.
To adapt to the times, this year Walktober will be entirely virtual. We will have a variety of challenges (such as scavenger hunts and photo submissions) to keep the PSU community connected while we all take on the challenge of walking 275,000 steps in October. Each week we’ll introduce a new online challenge, giving participants (you) the perfect opportunity to incorporate walking into a daily routine. Set personal goals, enjoy friendly competition, progress along a virtual course, participate in weekly challenges, and earn prizes as you get outside and increase your step count - whenever and wherever you want!
If you have questions or would like to request accommodations, please contact our Walktober team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!
Our registration process is easy and opens September 23. Simply visit PSU’s Walker Tracker website, create an account, and complete the registration questions. You can choose to join the PSU Walktober individual or team challenge (if you join the team challenge you will automatically join the individual challenge) and participate with a team of 4-10 members or solo. Youth are also welcome to join the challenge!
For more info on using Walker Tracker, including how to sync it with a fitness device or smart phone (not required) check out the tutorials below or view our tutorial with screenshots (PDF).
How to Register on Walker Tracker
- Go to pdx.walkertracker.com and click on "Register Now!"
- Fill out the required information and select “Register”.
- You will be asked to complete registration questions as well.
- You can join a team that already exists right from this page, or you can join or create one later on.
- Once you have successfully registered, you will be asked to choose between two challenges: a team challenge or an individual challenge. If you are participating with a team, select the team challenge. If you are choosing to participate as an individual, select the individual challenge.
- If you are participating in the team challenge, you will automatically be added to the individual challenge as well.
How to Manually Enter Data
- Log in to pdx.walkertracker.com.
- Under the “Your Stats” tab, click “Add An Entry”.
- Type in the number of steps you have walked in the day and submit.
- You can only enter steps once per day. If you enter data multiple times in a day, the most recent entry that you make will be the only value for the day.
- If you would like to retroactively enter steps, simply click on “Add an Entry” and type in the number of steps walked. Change the date of entry before submitting the entry.
- If you do not have a fitness tracking device or a smartphone and would like to manually calculate your steps, simply refer to the Manual Step Tracking Guide below to estimate your total steps for a walking or running activity.
- Multiply the number of minutes you spent doing an activity by the steps per minute value to calculate how many steps you took. For example – if I walked for 1 hour at a rate of 3 miles per hour, I would multiply my time (60 minutes) by the steps per minute value (100) to get 6,000 steps total.
Manual Step Tracking Guide
|Activity||Steps per minute|
|Walking, 30 min mile (2 mph)||76|
|Walking, 20 min mile (3 mph)||100|
|Walking, 15 min mile (4 mph)||152|
|Running, 12 min mile||178|
|Running, 10 min mile||222|
|Running, 8 min mile||278|
How to Add a Device to Your Walker Tracker Account
These are the steps to follow if you would like to connect an activity tracking device to your Walker Tracker account.
Apple Health (iPhone)
- Download the iOS app.
- Log into your Walker Tracker account on the app.
- Once logged in, at the top of your "Activity" page, toggle the switch where it says "Sync With Apple Health."
- Select “Connect to Health Kit"
- Once you agree to Apple’s language, you’re done! Apple Health will sync every time you open the app.
Google Fit - Android
- Download the Android app.
- Click: My Activity.
- Toggle on "Google Fit"
- Once you agree to Google's permissions, you're done! Google Fit will sync every time you open the app.
- Log in to pdx.walkertracker.com.
- Under the "Your Stats" tab (your personal homepage), click on “Connect a device” on the right side of your screen.
- It will take you to a page that allows you to choose the device you want to connect.
- Samsung Health is not available through Walker Tracker, so download a secondary app (Fitbit app, MyFitnessPal, etc.) to sync with Walker Tracker.
- Walker Tracker recommends the Fitbit app. You do not have to have a Fitbit to use this app or sync with Walker Tracker.
- Once you have selected the device/app you would like to sync with Walker Tracker, you must then select “Connect Activity Tracker."
- You will then be taken to a separate webpage to “Choose Your Source” to connect your health data.
- On the "Choose Your Source" page, you will see a list of apps you may select from depending on which device you use. You will then be asked to log in to the app to confirm the connection.
- Finally, once your device is successfully synced, you will be taken back to the Walker Tracker webpage
The Walktober 2020 events are listed below, and you can also find the Walktober events and deadlines listed on our Walktober Event Calendar (PDF).
October 1 | Kick-Off Walk | Between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Join Campus Rec for our virtual kick-off walk! We’re all going to be walking together, but on our own routes between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Connect with us on Instagram.
October 4-10 | Mindfulness Week
From October 4 through 10 we will be focusing on remembering to move every 30 minutes, and other ways to stay mindful throughout the day. Check out our Mindful Meanderings podcast and be on the lookout for our Walktober newsletter for more tips!
October 9 | Team Registration Deadline
The deadline to register a Walktober team is October 9. Instructions for creating a team and joining a team are provided below.
How To Create a Team
For instructions with screenshots, open the Walktober Tutorial: How to Create a Team (PDF)
If you join the team challenge, you will automatically join the individual challenge as well. Each team must have between 4 and 10 members. Youth are also welcome to join the challenge!
- Visit PSU’s Walker Tracker website
- Login or create a Walker Tracker account if you haven't already.
- Navigate to the "Teams" tab at the top of the Walker Tracker page and select "Create a Team."
- Choose a name for your team. You may only change your team name one time after you create it.
- Determine if you'd like it to be "Invite Only" where you must add users directly for them to join or "Open to Join" where anyone can join.
- When you're finished, click on "Create team."
- You will be taken to your team homepage, where you can invite members, add a photo/description, and post on the discussion board.
How to Join a Team
For instructions with screenshots, open the Walktober Tutorial: How to Join a Team (PDF)
- Navigate to the "Teams" tab at the top of the Walker Tracker page.
- Choose a team to join. If you don't see the team you're interested in joining, you can search for it using the "Find Public Teams" search bar.
- If you are having trouble joining a team, or are attempting to join a team that is "Invite Only" contact the team leader and ask them to invite you.
October 11-17 | Oh the Places You Will Go! Week
During the "Oh the Places You Will Go!" week, we are encouraging you to go somewhere new and share with us where you went, whether it’s a screen grab of the trail from an app, or a photo of the destination with a description. Check our newsletter or our Instagram for ideas.
October 16 | Individual Registration Deadline
The deadline to register as an individual for Walktober is October 16. Instructions for joining Walktober as an individual are provided below.
How to Join Walktober as an Individual
- Visit PSU’s Walker Tracker website
- Login or create a Walker Tracker account.
- When you register for Walktober, you will be asked to choose between two challenges: a team challenge or an individual challenge. If you are choosing to participate as an individual, select the individual challenge.
October 18-24 | Gratitude Week
A reminder to appreciate the things you have, whether it’s a cup of tea or the air you breathe. Take a moment to be thankful.
October 21 | Coffee Walk
For today's coffee walk, we will post a map of our favorite coffee shops around Portland and encourage you to walk to one (or more)!
October 25-31 | Spooky Week
Share something spooky that you see on a walk, like Halloween decorations, an abandoned house, or a creepy tree stump! If you dress up in a costume during the week, we encourage you to post photos of yourself and share with us on Instagram!
October 31 | Last Day of Walktober
It's the last day of Walktober! End this year's challenge with some extra steps today.
November 2 | Last Day To Log Steps
This is the last day to log the steps that you've taken throughout the Walktober challenge.
November 6 | 2 p.m. | Virtual Closing Ceremony
More details to come!
Mindful Meanderings Podcast
Listen to the Mindful Meanderings podcast to expand your daily mindfulness practice as you get outside to walk. It’s the perfect way to stay mindful and motivated during Walktober and beyond! Episodes range from practicing gratitude, finding joy, and simply being present in the moment.
Earn prizes for achieving your Walktober 2020 goals! Youth participants are not eligible for prizes.
Engaged Participant: 275,001 steps total
- Prize: $10 Starbucks card
Individual participants on a team are also eligible for the Engaged Participant prize.
Team Prizes: Based on a team’s average number of steps
The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams will choose between the following prizes:
- Moberi $10 e-gift card
- Pita Pit $10 e-gift card
- Powell’s $10 e-gift card
The 1st place team will choose their prize first. Then the 2nd place team will choose from the remaining two prize options. The 3rd place team will receive the remaining prize option. Each participant on the team will receive their own e-gift card from the prize option selected by the team.