Freshman Learners Acquiring Skills in Higher Education
How FLASH Works
This program starts fall term and provide on-campus employment and development opportunities to first-year students. The program is designed to provide resources and support to freshman who may be seeking their first paid job and aspire to become future leaders on campus.
- Current Portland State University degree seeking student with freshman class standing (defined as having fewer than 30 completed college credits)
- Minimum enrollment of 6 undergraduate credits for three out of four terms in the year
- Minimum 2.0 GPA and maintain good academic standing during employment
- Positive attitude
- Successfully complete a background check
- Must be available to attend multiple mandatory trainings (See below for times and dates)
How to Apply
- Complete the application (DOC).
- For position applying for, write “FLASH.”
- Write a one page cover letter that includes the ranking of the positions listed below and explain the position(s) that you find most desirable & the one(s) you find least desirable and why.
- Answer the essay question: Explain why you are interested in the FLASH Program, what specific skills would you like to acquire, and what do you hope to contribute? (in 200 words or less)
- Email application, cover letter, and essay question to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: FLASH, (your last name)
- You will receive a confirmation email that we have received your application within one week of receipt.
Application Deadline: Friday, October 21, 2016 at 12:00pm.
- Bike Hub Student Mechanic
- Member Services Staff Member
- Fitness Center Staff Member
- Intramural Sports Official
- Student Cashier (Kiosk Attendant)
- Enforcement Officer
- Student Maintenance Assistant
- Commercial Real Estate Student Worker
- Housing Maintenance Office Assistant Student Worker
If you need accommodations filling out this application, please contact the Campus Rec Administrative Suite front desk at 503-725-5127 or email@example.com.
FLASH Info Sessions
Tuesday, 9/20: 1-2 p.m.
Wednesday, 9/21: 1-2 p.m.
Thursday, 9/22: 12-1 p.m.
Location: ASRC Suite 210, Conference Room
Group Interview: October 21, 2016
Mandatory FLASH Employee Trainings
Below are mandatory training dates required of you to attend if you were hired through the FLASH Program. Part of your consideration for a position is based on being able to attend all sessions. Please make sure you look at your schedules!
- Saturday November 19 - 9:00am - 2:00pm.
- Friday December 2 - 9:30am -11:30am.
- Monday December 12 - 10:00am - 5:00pm.
- Friday January 13 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday January 27 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday February 10- 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday February 24 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday March 10 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday March 24 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday April 7 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday April 21 - 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday May 5- 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Friday May 19- 11:00am - 3:00pm.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.