Transfer and Post-Baccalaureate Students

Civil and Environmental Engineering

Transfer & Post-Baccalaureate Students

Students in the iSTAR lab

One of the strengths of the CEE Department is the diversity of learners in our program, including a strong contingent of post-baccalaureate (or "post-bac") and transfer students. We offer individualized support to ensure you'll succeed in CEE.

General Education Requirements

Transfer Credits and Transfer Analysis

Steps to Apply to the BSCE or BSENVE

Post-Bac Information for Master's vs. Second Bachelors


General Education Requirements

Transfer Students

First-time students with 30 or more transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits) are considered transfer students. General education requirements can be found on the Transfer Student General Education Requirements page.

Post-bac Students

Students who have already earned a regionally accredited bachelor's degree or the equivalent are considered post-baccalaureates. The general education requirements are waived for post-bac students with the following exceptions:

  1. EC 314U: Public & Private Investment (required for all engineering students)
  2. WR 323: Writing as Critical Inquiry (only required for post-bac students who do not hold a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English)

A minimum of 45 credits must be taken at PSU to award a B.S. degree.

Back to Top

Transfer Credits

Transfer and post-bac students do not need a transfer evaluation conducted by the CEE Department for courses completed at the following community colleges:

  • Chemeketa Community College
  • Clackamas Community College
  • Clark College
  • Mt. Hood Community College
  • Portland Community College.

The transfer guide for these colleges can be found on the Local Community College Transfer Guide

Transfer Analysis

Students who plan to transfer credits from other institutions will need to request a transfer evaluation for all applicable courses in order to establish equivalencies after admission to PSU. Request a transfer evaluation by emailing, or scheduling an advising appointment with the CEE Undergraduate Faculty Advisor, Evan Kristof, via Students will need to provide syllabi for all courses that will be reviewed.

Back to Top

Steps to Apply to the BSCE or BSENVE

Students must be admitted formally to the BSCE or BSENVE program before they will be allowed to enroll in restricted, upper-division courses offered by the program. Visit our Upper Division Admissions page to learn more on how to apply.

Back to Top

Master's vs. second Bachelor's degree

In considering options, prospective post-bac students should first consider whether a Master’s degree or second Bachelor’s degree is the most appropriate for their situation. If you don’t already have a degree in engineering or closely related field, a second Bachelor’s degree will likely be the preferred (and shortest) path. Licensure as a professional engineer is generally required for a career in civil or environmental engineering and there are important implications to consider. For more details, please review this advising document on "Qualifying for Admission to the Graduate Program without a Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering".

Back to Top


Can I take some courses at community colleges?

Yes, students can complete the lower division (100 and 200 level) math, science, and engineering requirements at PSU or at other local transfer institutions. Note that students who are planning to apply to PSU Admissions as a Post-Baccalaureate student should still contact the CEE Department to request a post-bac transfer analysis to apply courses from other institutions toward the major requirements, if applicable. 

Do I pay graduate tuition as a post-bac?

Post-bac students are charged the undergraduate tuition rate for all 100-400 level courses at PSU. Graduate tuition rates are applied to all 500 level courses for Post-bac students.

How long does it generally take to earn a post-bac BSCE or BSENVE degree?

Depending on your math placement or previous math experience, a student can take between 3 and 4 years to complete a degree if they are able to attend full-time. Once admitted to PSU, you can work with one of our engineering advisors to develop a course plan specific to your experience and needs.

Are there any special Financial Aid considerations?

Students should speak directly with the PSU Financial Aid office to find out what their options are.

Back to Top


Upcoming events

Friday Transportation Seminar: Oregon Walks Pedestrian Crash…

We are committed to making decisions that promote the success and well-…
Add to my Calendar 2021-04-23 11:30:00 2021-04-23 12:30:00 Friday Transportation Seminar: Oregon Walks Pedestrian Crash Report: Causes, Effects, and Recommendations We are committed to making decisions that promote the success and well-being of our campus community. Until further notice, all live events hosted by TREC will be online only. Friday Transportation Seminars at Portland State University have been a tradition since 2000. You can join us online at 11:30 AM. REGISTER HERE THE TOPIC Perhaps you’ve seen a public meeting about pedestrian safety (or infrastructure projects) deteriorate into speculation about texting pedestrians or drunk drivers. What do the data say? The Oregon Walks Pedestrian Crash Report reviews police reports and available information for all 48 fatal pedestrian crashes in Portland from 2017-2019. The authors will summarize their most notable findings relating to infrastructure, other systemic factors, equity and the information that the public receives about crashes. Participants may wish to review the report or articles describing it to prepare for a robust discussion: You’re Driving Too Damn Fast, Willamette Week, March 17, 2021 Oregon Walks releases landmark report on fatal pedestrian crashes, BikePortland, March 17, 2021 The authors will welcome participants’ questions and suggestions about how to improve the report, which is in its first release. The complete dataset is available upon request (please email scott[at] KEY LEARNING TAKEAWAYS Most fatal pedestrian crashes in Portland cannot be attributed to traditional crash factors, such as intoxication or distraction. Operation of streets as fast, wide, poorly-lit, multi-lane roads through neighborhoods predictably results in deaths of people walking and using mobility devices. Fatal pedestrian crashes occur disproportionately in East Portland, and disproportionately kill Black Portlanders, elders, people experiencing houselessness, and people with ADA disabilities, among others. Media and police reports focus on which participant was at fault, and generally ignore the infrastructure and systemic failures that are common to many fatal pedestrian crashes in Portland. SPEAKERS  Ashton Simpson, Executive Director, Oregon Walks Ashton is a community organizer, former U.S. Air Force Civil Engineering Technician, and a graduate of PSU’s Community Development undergraduate program. In his most recent role at The Rosewood Initiative, he served as Community Asset Director, providing planning expertise for under-resourced neighborhoods. As a progressive Black man growing up in Houston, and now living in Portland, he has seen firsthand the unequal development present in our pedestrian infrastructure, and the dangers this presents for vulnerable communities. Scott Kocher, Board Liaison, Oregon Walks Legislative and Policy Advisory Committee Scott Kocher joined the Oregon Walks Board in September 2014. He is a native Oregonian and a graduate of Harvard Law School and Harvard College. He worked as an attorney at Oregon's largest law firm from 2001 to 2006, when he became a partner of Vangelisti Kocher LLP. He established Forum Law Group in 2013. Scott also holds a top rating of 10.0 from the non-paid attorney rating site, Scott served on Portland's Pedestrian Advisory Committee for a number of years, stepping down recently. Scott is the Board Liaison to Oregon Walks' Legislative and Policy Advisory Committee. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT This 60-minute seminar is eligible for 1 hour of professional development credit for AICP (see our provider summary). We provide an electronic attendance certificate for other types of certification maintenance. LEARN MORE Photo courtesy of Oregon Metro Sign up for our newsletter to receive monthly updates. The Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC) at Portland State University is home to the National Institute for Transportation and Communities (NITC), the Initiative for Bicycle and Pedestrian Innovation (IBPI), and other transportation programs. TREC produces research and tools for transportation decision makers, develops K-12 curriculum to expand the diversity and capacity of the workforce, and engages students and professionals through education. Register on Zoom: America/Los_Angeles public

Ph.D. Defense Announcement: Milad Souri

The CEE Department is pleased to announce Milad Souri's Ph.D. Defense: "Development of a Design Guideline for Pile Foundations Subjected to…
Add to my Calendar 2021-04-23 12:00:00 2021-04-23 13:00:00 Ph.D. Defense Announcement: Milad Souri The CEE Department is pleased to announce Milad Souri's Ph.D. Defense: "Development of a Design Guideline for Pile Foundations Subjected to Liquefaction-Induced Lateral Spreading" Date: Friday, April 23rd, 2021 Time: 12:00 PM Zoom link: Advisor: Dr. Arash Khosravifar Abstract: Pile-supported wharves subjected to earthquake motions should be designed to accommodate inertial loads imposed at pile head from the superstructure as well as the kinematic loads imposed on piles from the lateral ground deformations. In this research, the interaction of inertial and kinematic demands is investigated using data from five centrifuge tests on pile-supported wharves in conjunction with equivalent static analysis and a nonlinear dynamic model. The analysis results were used to refine existing guidelines for design of pile-supported wharves subjected to liquefaction induced lateral spreading. This event will be hosted virtually on Zoom: CEE staff at CEE staff at America/Los_Angeles public


The CEE Department will be hosting an open zoom hour spring term on Fridays from 12:30-1:30 PM starting April 2nd and ending on June 4th. This hour-…
Add to my Calendar 2021-04-23 19:30:00 2021-04-20 14:01:41 CEE OPEN OFFICE ZOOM HOUR The CEE Department will be hosting an open zoom hour spring term on Fridays from 12:30-1:30 PM starting April 2nd and ending on June 4th. This hour-long event is open to all CEE undergraduate and graduate students that would like to say hello, see a face, ask a question, or just chat about your day. We miss seeing you at the front desk and would like to provide this virtual event as an opportunity to see and hear from you! CEE Staff Kiley Melicker and Sam Parsons will be hosting the event, with occasional visits from Department Manager Sarah Phillips and Department Chair Chris Monsere. We look forward to seeing you there! -CEE Department Zoom link: CEE Staff at CEE Staff at America/Los_Angeles public