Civil & Environmental Engineering Post Baccalaureate Student Advising

We welcome and value second-degree seeking students. One of the strengths of our Department is the diversity of learners in our program, including a strong contingent of second-degree seeking students. Over 10% of our undergraduate students have already earned a Bachelor’s degree in a non-engineering field and some of our most successful alumni returned to PSU CEE to obtain a second degree in engineering.

Post-baccalaureate (PB) students have a modified course plan to follow, and different admissions steps to consider information to consider. We’ve created this page to assemble a variety of resources together and to provide you information on our process so that you are better prepared. We are here to help, so please contact us with any questions not answered on this page.

Master's vs. second Bachelor's degree

In considering options, prospective second-degree seeking students should first consider whether a Master’s degree or second Bachelor’s degree is the most appropriate for their situation. If you don’t already have a degree in engineering or closely related field, a second Bachelor’s degree will likely be the preferred (and shortest) path. Licensure as a professional engineer is generally required for a career in civil or environmental engineering and there are important implications to consider. For more details, please review this advising document on "Qualifying for Admission to the Graduate Program without a Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering.

Second Bachelor's Degree information

In order to be awarded a B.S.CE or B.S. ENVE degree, the student’s transcript must show academic credit for every course listed on the Civil or Environmental Engineering course plan.  Each student’s background and preparation is unique, but in general, our approach is to apply all courses from the prior Bachelor’s degree that are equivalent to those required in either of our degree programs.  We occasionally can accept 400-level technical courses outside CEE towards our technical elective requirements if the course and the student’s background are otherwise strong. No more than 8 credits will be accepted for technical courses.

Transfer Analysis

Many courses are formally articulated between PSU and other University programs. For courses transferred from institutions that are not already articulated with the University, CEE will need to make a case-by-case review of the courses for equivalency. After you have been admitted to PSU as a post-bac, we will review your transcripts and create a custom course plan. You can get a good sense of how many courses you will likely need to take by doing a self-evaluation of your coursework to the required Civil or Environmental Engineering program. If you would like to schedule a meeting with the CEE Department Chair for additional advising, please use this link.  In person, online or phone meetings are available.

The general education requirements are waived for PB students with the following exceptions: 1) EC 314U: Public & Private Investment is required for all engineering students and 2) PB students who do not hold a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English must satisfy the Writing 323 requirements before graduating from PSU.

PSU requires a minimum of 45 credits taken at PSU to award a B.S. degree.