Non-Credit: BYU - FLATS Option
Pass score in a language listed in the table below, from BYU's Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services, will fulfill PSU’s Admissions, B.A., and M.A. second language requirements. The BYU-FLATS exam must be proctored through PSU Testing Services (SHAC) for the result to be valid. There is a mandatory 6-month waiting period for retaking a failed exam.
Complete and return the Foreign Language Examination Request form to WLL for approval prior to ordering and scheduling an exam.
Exam results through BYU-FLATS for American Sign Language, Chinese, Danish, French, German, Ancient Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Latin, Norwegian, Persian, Portuguese (Brazilian/Continental), Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Turkish and Vietnamese will not be accepted. Contact the World Languages and Literatures Office in Neuberger Hall 491 for instructions on these languages.
Approved BYU-FLATS Languages:
BYU-FLATS Exam Fees and Instructions:
- The fee is $85 ($50 to BYU-FLATS and $35 to SHAC Testing).
- The exam is multiple-choice and includes a listening comprehension section. There is a two-and-a-half hour time limit. Pass/No Pass only.
- Order the exam through BYU-FLATS website once you receive an approval e-mail from the World Language Requirements Specialist, ZoeAnn Dimond. Please follow the steps below:
a. Choose: Online Tests / Register for a Test.
b. Fill in the web form with your personal data.
c. Use the following PROCTOR and RESULTS information.
|PROCTOR:||RESULTS SENT TO:|
|Name:||Diane Smith||Name:||ZoeAnn Dimond|
||SHAC, Testing Services||Department:||World Languages and Literatures|
||Portland State University||Educational Institution:||Portland State University|
|Address:||527 SW Hall Street, Suite 340||Address:||P.O. Box 751|
|City, State Zip code:||Portland, OR 97201||City, State Zip code:||Portland, OR 97207-0751|
4. Schedule an exam appointment online with the SHAC Testing Center at https://www.pdx.edu/shac/testing-byuflats. Select Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services (FLATS).
5. After taking the test, allow two weeks for the results to be received and processed in the Department of World Languages and Literatures. A Pass score will result in a waiver of the second language requirement for the BA.
6. If you have any questions about exam content, please consult the BYU FLATS website (http://flats.byu.edu/).