Last Date of Attendance/Participation
At the time of online grade submission in Banweb, instructors must enter a last date of attendance (LDA) or the date of the last academically-related activity for each student who is assigned a grade of F, NP or X.
When entering an F, NP or X grade, "Last Date of Attendance/Participation" is now required.
In order to remain compliant with recent changes in the federal regulations (Unofficial Withdrawal Requirement (34 CFR 668.22 (j) (2)) governing the disbursement of federal financial aid, the campus is now required to gather attendance information for a specific population of students. Specifically, beginning with the Fall 2014, final grade collection, instructors will be required to indicate the last known date of attendance (LDA) when final grades of F, NP, or X are assigned.
The new process is intended to streamline LDA reporting for faculty and administrative staff by collecting grades and LDA during the grade loading process, reducing or potentially eliminating the need for follow-up requests to faculty by Portland State University financial aid.
Instructors must enter a last date of attendance (LDA) or the date of the last academically-related activity at the time of online grade submission in Banweb if you are assigning a grade of F, NP or X. This grading functionality is effective beginning the fall term of 2014.
How to Enter Last Date of Attendance (LDA) in Banweb
If you do not enter the LDA for F, NP and X grades, Banweb will not allow you to submit your roster. When you save the roster, messages will appear in the LDA column indicating the LDA is required.
- Log in to Banweb (if you are having trouble logging in, please contact the OIT HELP Desk at 5-4357).
- Select Faculty Services
- Click on Final Grades
- Select the term
- Select the CRN (Course Reference Number) from the pull down list of your CRN listings. Click Submit CRN. This will bring a list of all registered students in your course/section. If no students are registered, this message will appear: “Stop. There are no students registered for: [course name, number, section]”
- Select a Grade from the pull down menu for each student you wish to grade at this time
- For each "F”,“NP” or “X” grade, enter an LDA in this format: MM/DD/YYYY. (If there is no attendance, check the "Never Attended" box and leave the date field blank). The LDA must be between the first day of your course and the last date of your course.
- Click "Submit" when you are finished entering all grades on your roster; a confirmation screen will indicate if there is a missing grade or LDA.
Tips for Entering LDA in the Banweb Grading Roster
- The new LDA column appears to the right of the Grade column.
- The last date of attendance must be entered in a MM/DD/YYYY format.
- The LDA field is required when submitting F, NP or X grades. Final grades cannot be submitted until the LDA is entered.
- If the student did not attend your course, check the "Never Attended" box. If the student did attend, enter the LDA in the date field.
- The LDA must be within the start and end dates of your course. See the Academic Calendar for term dates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to record LDA for all grades?
No, you must record LDA only for F, NP and X grades, to comply with federal regulations governing Title IV aid.
Why doesn’t Banweb accept my LDA?
- LDA must be entered in this format: MM/DD/YYYY.
- LDA must be between the first day of your course and the last day of your course.
What if a student never attended my class but is still on my grade roster?
For students who never attended or participated in your class assign a grade of X and check the "Never Attended" box.
How do I determine the student’s LDA?
There are several ways to determine a student's LDA. Participation is the relevant factor. For example, logging onto D2L alone is not sufficient. Here are some approved examples:
- Physically attending a class where instruction was offered;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking an exam, completing an interactive tutorial, or participating in computer-assisted instruction;
- Attending a study group that is assigned by the school;
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters;
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.
What if I don’t know the LDA?
Whenever possible, attendance in class should be tracked. However, if you have no record of participation in any way check the "Never Attended" box and leave the date field blank.