Guidelines for Release of Student Records
NO information may be released about students who have established privacy/confidentiality of their records.
Release of student records at Portland State University is governed by federal law (FERPA), the Oregon Revised Statutes, and by the Oregon Administrative Rules.
The following steps provide a simple means to determine what information may be released. Release of any information other than that listed in Step 3 may have serious legal implications. If you receive a request for information other than what is covered in these steps, refer the inquirer to the Office of the Registrar.
All access and use at Portland State University of a student's Social Security Number is prohibited except for meeting federal or state requirements, compliance, and reporting. A student's PSU ID number should be used for all other record-keeping purposes.
Check the confidentiality of the student's records. Has the student restricted the release of all information by exerting the right to privacy/confidentiality?
- View the grade roster or class roster. If the word "Confidential" appears next to the student's name, his/her personal information is to be kept confidential.
- Sign on to Banner and go to SPAIDEN or GUASYST screens. If this student's information is confidential, the first time you open the student's record in Banner a pop-up message will appear saying “Warning: Information About This Person is Confidential." All subsequent screens will show *CONFIDENTIAL* in the upper left portion of the form.
- If you do not have access to Banner, ask someone with access to check the student's record for you, or call the Office of the Registrar for help (503-725-3220).
If the student's record is CONFIDENTIAL, you must respond to the inquiry in a way that does not acknowledge the student's existence on campus. An example, "There is no information available on that person". If the person inquiring persists, you may suggest that they ask the student in question to contact the Office of the Registrar directly, or refer the caller to the Office of the Registrar.
If the student's records are NOT confidential, then determine what information about the student is being requested. Portland State University may provide only the following directory information without students' written consent:
- Student's current first, middle, last and preferred first name
- Current @pdx.edu email address
- Dates and/or terms of attendance
- Field of study (major, minor)
- Degrees and awards received
- Date(s) of degree(s)
- Term of application for degree(s)
- Number of credits earned, including class standing (freshmen, sophomore, etc.)
- Fact of enrollment, including enrollment status (full-time, half-time, etc.)
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Status as a graduate assistant, including work assignment and FTE
- Dates of employment for student worker positions
Remember, NO information may be released about students who have established privacy/confidentiality of their records.
If anything other than the above information is requested, the request should be denied. Refer all inquiries from law enforcement officials directly to the Office of the Registrar. If there are other unusual and extraordinary circumstances, refer the request to:
Office of the Registrar
FMH - 1st floor Student Services Lobby
1855 SW Broadway
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
Examples of Non-Directory Information
This information may not be released without signed student consent. These policy guidelines are in accordance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (PL 93-380) [34 CFR Part 99].
- Student's gender or legal sex
- Class schedule
- Transcript: official or unofficial
- DARS degree audit report
- Social Security Number (complete or partial)
- PSU student ID number
- Grades earned
- Pending graduation status; course work yet to be completed
- Residency status
- Fees paid
- Class rank
- Current academic standing (warning, probation, dismissal)
- VA, Social Security status
- GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Parent or guardian name or address