Veterans Certification Tuition Assistance

Information on this page is taken from the Department of Veteran Affairs website, which is the authoritative source for all veterans benefits. Visit the Veterans Benefits Administration site or call Toll-Free 1.888.442.4551 for more information.

What is the benefit?

The amount of this benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course.

To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits or the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

How Much Will I Get?

The amount of the benefit is limited to the amount that the person would receive for the same course if regular benefits were being paid. In no case can the amount paid by the military combined with the amount paid by VA be more than the total cost of the course. If you are receiving the Montgomery GI Bill®, you will receive the difference between what the DoD pays for the course and the total cost of the course (not to exceed the GI Bill® monthly maximum). If you are receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® your school will be reimbursed the difference between the amount the DoD pays for the course and the authorized maximum tuition and fees for the school.

How Is My GI Bill® Entitlement Charged?

Your GI Bill® entitlement is charged differently depending on which GI Bill® program you are utilizing:

  • If you are utilizing the Montgomery GI Bill® your entitlement is charged based on the dollar amount of benefits VA pays you. You will be charged one month of entitlement for each payment you receive that is equal to the full time monthly rate for the GI Bill®. Visit the current monthly rates page for more information.
  • If you are utilizing the Post-9/11 GI Bill® your entitlement is charged based on the training time you are enrolled in. If you are going to classes at the 1/2 time training level you will be charged 1/2 month of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits for each month you are enrolled and receiving GI Bill® benefits - (it does not matter how much money you are reimbursed).

How do I apply for Tuition Assistance Top-Up Reimbursement?

To apply for chapter 30 education benefits submit the online application.

For more information, refer to the Tuition Assistance "Top-Up" webpage.

At PSU, contact the Third Party Billing Office at 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government Website