Search Google Appliance

Transfer: How & When to Apply


Admission Requirements

Students with 30 or more transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits) earned after high school graduation will be reviewed for admission as a transfer student.

Students earning college credit while in high school (i.e. Running Start) and those with fewer than 30 transferable quarter credits are considered freshmen for admission purposes and must meet both the requirements for college transfer and high school students. Official high school and college transcripts must be submitted. Admission Requirements: Freshman.

  • Meet Minimum GPA Requirement

    • 2.25, or 2.00 if student presents a transferable Associate's Degree or an Oregon Transfer Module (OTM)
  • Complete WR 121 or Equivalent with a Grade of C- or Better

    • WR 121 equivalencies are determined by Portland State's Office of Admission and may include higher level courses for which WR 121 (or its approved equivalent) is a prerequisite. This requirement is specific to the application process and is separate from academic advising and course registration at Portland State University.
  • Meet Second Language Proficiency Requirement

    • Oregon High School Graduates only

How to Apply

  1. Go to Portland State University's online application system and create a login and password. (Remember to write down your info so you can access your application later.)

  2. Create a login and password.

  3. Select Undergraduate - TRANSFER as your student type from the drop down menu.

  4. With your application you must submit a non-refundable $50 application fee; you will be required to pay this via Visa or MasterCard. A $2 processing fee will apply. If you are eligible for the PSU fee deferral as an undergraduate, you will be able to choose this option for payment.

  5. Submit official transcripts in the original sealed envelopes from all schools attended along with test scores (if applicable). Send documents to Portland State University; Office of Admissions; PO Box 751; Portland OR 97207-0751.


Application Deadlines & Important Dates

Portland State University accepts applications for each term on a rolling admissions basis. Please note that the following dates are priority filing dates only. Applications will still be accepted after these dates.

Once all documents have been received, please allow four to six weeks for an admissions decision. Students applying for financial aid should apply as early as possible. Priority is given to applicants who have submitted complete files by the following dates.

August 1
  • PSU Admissions Application Available
October 1
November 1
  • Undergraduate Priority Application Deadline for Winter Term

February 1

May 1
  • Undergraduate Priority Application Deadline for Summer Term
  • Deadline to apply for On-Campus Housing
August 1 Deadline to Submit All Final Academic Records to Demonstrate Eligibility for WUE

There are a limited number of undergraduate programs that require an additional application for students wishing to enroll in restricted upper-division coursework. Please consult your academic adviser for information on application deadlines, prerequisite courses, and grade point average restrictions. Examples of restricted programs are engineering and child and family studies.


Transferring to PSU

This is your go-to site for all information related to transferring to PSU. This is where you'll learn how your credits will transfer and how to work with PSU to create your academic plan.

How Your Credits Transfer

Transferring from Out of State

Portland State University welcomes more transfer students than any other public university in Oregon.  You will join others who, like you, are passionate about their goal to earn a degree.  Whether you are located 60 miles from Oregon or will travel across the county, understanding your path to PSU is important. 

Writing 121 Equivalent Courses By State

Completion of Writing 121 (or equivalent) is required for admission to PSU. If you have questions regarding how to satisfy this requirement please contact your Admissions Counselor