International Transfer Admission Requirements
- Have earned 30 transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits) with a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.25 when converted to the U.S. 4.0 grading scale. If you are transferring from a U.S. institution of higher education you must complete Writing 121 or its equivalent with a grade of C- or better.
- We exclude English as a Second Language (ESL) courses from the GPA calculation and transfer credit count.
- Transferable credits must have been completed at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or at a college or university recognized as an institution of higher education by the Ministry of Education in the respective country.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. You may be admitted to Portland State University and placed into one of our ESL programs if you do not meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. Learn more about PSU’s English language programs.
Review the Minimum Academic Requirements by Country for detailed information about what documentation PSU will accept.
Steps to Apply
Submit Your Application and Pay the $52 Application Fee
- Go to Portland State University's online application system and select Create Account. If you have already started an application, or created one for a past term, select Log In.
- Select Intl Undergrad - TRANSFER as your student type from the dropdown menu.
- A non-refundable $52 (U.S. Dollars) application fee is required. Pay this using a Visa or MasterCard.
Submit Academic Records and Test Scores
You are required to submit complete academic records from every college/university that you have attended, in any country. You can submit unofficial transcripts from non-U.S. institutions for review of your application and to receive an admission decision. Official transcripts are required for enrollment, see our official records policy for details.
Electronic Submission: Transcripts may be submitted via Parchment or sent directly from a school official to email@example.com.
In Person Submission: You can bring these directly to our office upon arrival to Portland State.
Mail Submission: Submit official transcripts in their original sealed envelopes from all schools attended and mail them to PSU at the address below.
Portland State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751
Submit Evidence of English Language Proficiency
Request official test results to be sent directly to Portland State University by ETS (TOEFL), PTE, or IELTS. Students who meet the academic requirements for admission to PSU, but have not yet met English proficiency requirements, will be admitted to PSU and placed into one of our ESL programs. Review PSU’s English Language Proficiency Requirements for more details.
- TOEFL Code: 4610, department code 00
- SAT Code: 4610
ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE STEPS ABOVE YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED FOR ADMISSION
Submit Documents to Obtain Your Student Visa
Most international students who wish to study full-time in the United States must apply for either an F-1 or J-1 (Student) visa through a U.S. Consulate. If you are currently in the U.S. and studying on an F1 or J1 you will transfer your SEVIS record from your current U.S. school to Portland State University. This documentation is not required to make an admission decision. However, if you submit financial documentation with your other application materials it will greatly reduce the processing time of your application and I-20 issuance. Learn more about applying for your initial student visa.
Check Your Application Status
You will be notified by email about the status of your application, for each document you submit and your admission decision. You can also check the status of your application online. Go to Portland State University's online application system and log in. Under "Processed Applications" select the application for which you would like to check the status under "Admission Term". A summary will display with details about your application and what may be missing, and perhaps, delaying an admission decision.
If you are not receiving email communications from Portland State University, be sure to check your @pdx.edu email account. Once you set up your student account all communications will be sent to that email address. If you are not receiving information from us in any email inboxes, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.