Postbaccalaureate: How & When to Apply

Admission Requirements

Students who have earned a regionally accredited bachelor's degree or the equivalent will apply to Portland State as a postbaccalaureate. You must submit an official transcript with the bachelor's degree posted from the institution granting your first undergraduate degree.

  • Postbaccalaureate (undergraduate): Postbaccalaureate students may be seeking a second bachelor's degree or undergraduate certificate.
  • Postbaccalaureate (other): Postbaccalaureate students may be taking undergraduate or graduate level courses in preparation for admission to a future advanced degree. Postbaccalaureate students are not yet admitted to a graduate program. Be sure to contact a graduate adviser for information about transferring postbaccalaureate credit hours to a graduate degree program.

A candidate for a second baccalaureate degree must complete the following:

  1. Residence credit after earning first degree: If the first degree was from Portland State University, 36 additional credits must be taken at Portland State. If the first degree was from another accredited college or university, 45 credits must be taken at Portland State. Restriction: At least 25 of the 45 credits must be for differentiated grades (A-F).
  2. Requirements for degree: if second degree sought is different type (i.e., B.A. versus. B.S.) then student must also complete the requirements for the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Music. Please consult an academic adviser or current University Bulletin for the specific degree requirements.
  3. Requirements for the major: Courses taken as a postbaccalaureate student or as part of the first degree program count toward the major. Students do not need to meet the general education requirement, however they must complete the minimum number of credits in residence at Portland State that are required.

Postbaccalaureate students who do not hold a degree from a university where the language of instruction is English must satisfy the Writing 323 requirements before graduation from Portland State University.

Transfer evaluations are not done automatically for postbaccalaureate students seeking a second degree.These students should work with an academic adviser in their major area of study to request an evaluation of eligible transfer work from their first degree.

How to Apply

  1. Go to Portland State University's online application system and create a login and password. (Remember to write down your info so you can access your application later.)

  2. Select POST-BAC as your student type from the drop down menu.

  3. With your application you must submit a non-refundable $50 application fee; you will be required to pay this via Visa or MasterCard. A $2 processing fee will apply.

  4. Submit official transcripts in the original sealed envelopes from school where bachelor's degree was earned.
    • Mail Submission: Portland State University; Office of Undergraduate Admissions; PO Box 751; Portland OR 97207-0751 
    • Electronic Submission: Transcripts submitted electronically must be sent via a secure electronic transcript delivery service (such as Parchment) or sent directly from a school official to
  5. Check your application status. You will be notified by email about the status of your application, for each document you submit and your admission decision. You can also check the status of your application online.

    1. Go to Portland State University's online application system and log in. If you forgot your login or pin, contact Admissions at 503-725-3511 or 800-547-8887, extension 5-3511 [toll free in the U.S.] or Under "Processed Applications" select the application for which you would like to check the status under "Admission Term". A summary will display with details about your application and what may be missing, and perhaps, delaying an admission decision.

If you are not receiving email communications from Portland State University, be sure to check your email account. Once you set up your student account all communications will be sent to that email address. If you are not receiving information from us in any email inboxes, please contact us at


Application Deadlines & Important Dates

Portland State University accepts applications on a rolling basis for all terms, but will consider postbaccalaureate applications up to the start date of a given term. 

There are a limited number of undergraduate programs that require an additional application for students wishing to enroll in restricted upper-division coursework. Please consult your academic adviser for information on application deadlines, prerequisite courses, and grade point average restrictions. Examples of restricted programs are engineering and child and family studies.