International Freshman Admission Requirements
To enroll as a freshman (first year), you must have completed secondary school or high school. Your education must be equivalent to United States secondary school or high school education.
- You must have a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 when converted to the U.S. 4.0 grading scale.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. You may be admitted to Portland State University and an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) pathway if you do not meet PSU's English Language Proficiency Requirement. Learn more about PSU’s English language programs.
Review the Minimum Academic Requirements by Country for detailed information about what documentation PSU will accept.
Steps to Apply
Submit Your Application and Pay the $52 Application Fee
- Go to Portland State University's online application system and select Create Account. If you have already started an application, or created one for a past term, select Log In.
- A non-refundable $52 (USD) application fee is required. Pay this using a Visa or MasterCard. If you are eligible for fee deferral as an undergraduate, you will be able to choose this option for payment.
Submit Academic Records
You are required to submit complete academic records. We accept high school transcripts, grades and other relevant academic records along with your graduation certificate, diploma or exam results or certificates. If you have taken any college or university classes, submit transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. You can submit unofficial transcripts from non-U.S. institutions for review of your application and to receive an admission decision. Official transcripts are required for enrollment, see our official records policy for details.
Electronic Submission: Transcripts may be submitted via Parchment or sent directly from a school official to email@example.com.
In Person Submission: You can bring these directly to our office upon arrival to Portland State.
Mail Submission: Submit official transcripts in their original sealed envelopes from all schools attended and mail them to PSU at the address below.
Portland State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751
Submit Evidence of English Language Proficiency
Request official test results to be sent directly to Portland State University by ETS (TOEFL), PTE, or IELTS. Students who meet the academic requirements for admission to PSU, but have not yet met English proficiency requirements, will be admitted to PSU and placed into one of our ESL programs. Review PSU’s English Language Proficiency Requirements for more details.
- TOEFL Code: 4610, department code 00
- SAT Code: 4610
Check Your Application Status
If you have submitted an application to Portland State University, you can log in to PSU's application portal to review the status of your application. You will be notified via email for each document you submit and your admission decision.
If you are not receiving email communications from Portland State University, be sure to check your @pdx.edu email account. Once you set up your student account all communications will be sent to that email address. If you are not receiving information from us in any email inboxes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you complete the steps above your application will be reviewed for admission
Submit Documents to Obtain Your Student Visa
Most international students who wish to study full-time in the United States must apply for either an F-1 or J-1 (Student) visa through a U.S. Consulate. If you are currently in the U.S. and studying on an F1 or J1 visa you will transfer your SEVIS record from your current U.S. school to Portland State University. This documentation is not required to make an admission decision. However, if you submit financial documentation with your other application materials it will greatly reduce the processing time of your application and I-20 issuance.